Do I need fluid with LSD additive for Dana 44?

NCSysEngr

New Jeep owner. Just purchased my first Wrangler. Been wanting one for years. It is a 2005 TJ Unlimited with 175k miles. Solid jeep with the normal issues for that year / mileage. I am currently going through it and changing all fluids. I have a question concerning the DANA 30 and 44 Diffs I haven't seen a definitive answer on here. Do I need to the LSD additive in either or both of these? I have pulled the build sheet and is is not clear to me. Great Forum! It has been very helpful in getting to know my jeep. Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.

99.99% of the correct GL-5 gear lubes already contain the additive required by your LSD. But with 175K miles there's no doubt your LSD's clutch pack is completely worn out, they typically last 40-50k miles. That just means your LSD will work about the same with/without the additive. But rest assured, you'd have to look hard to find a gear lube without the additive.

And a big welcome to WTF! Oops WTJF. :D

Jerry beat me to it! Good luck on finding a gear lube without the LSD additives ;)

Only your Dana 44 is limited slip. All LJs came with a limited slip Dana 44. Your Dana 30 is not limited slip, but rather an open differential.

Thanks for the information. I don't have any maintenance history on this LJ. I will look at replacing the clutch pack too.
The cost of replacing its clutch pack wouldn't be that much less than replacing it entirely with the superb Detroit Truetrac LSD which has no clutch pack to wear out and needs no friction modifier additive. The LSD presently in your Dana 44 doesn't really have a great reputation.

Reactions: CodaMan
Forgive me if this is a dumb question. Does the clutch pack (needing replacement) only effect the LS functionality?
Yes, a functional clutch pack is key and central to the LSD's operation. Just like you wouldn't be able to drive the Jeep if you had a manual transmission and its clutch was worn out.

Thanks again! It's great to get input from knowledgeable folks. I thought it would "default" to open, I just wanted to get verification on that. Like I said, I have no maintenance history so I don't know if or when the clutch pack has ever been replaced. I really appreciate all the feedback!!