Does it matter which upstream O2 sensor goes in what bank?

AuburnJeep

Does it matter which upstream goes in what bank or do you determine that by the length of the wire? For example, 23506 is an upstream sensor, does that go in bank one or bank two? Does it matter? Also, does the bosch sensor not work in our jeeps or does it just not last as long as the NTK?

Don't use any Bosch O2 senders, they operate off a different bias voltage and they won't work properly in our TJs. Stick strictly with NTK, NGK, or Mopar. Avoid store brands too.

Yes what model O2 sensor goes to each location matters, they're different. You didn't post your model year or engine type so I can't provide model numbers for you but they're available by model year at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-jeep-wrangler-tj-oxygen-o2-sensor-thread.4068/

And a big welcome to WTF! :)

Don't use any Bosch O2 senders, they operate off a different bias voltage and they won't work properly in our TJs. Stick strictly with NTK, NGK, or Mopar. Avoid store brands too.

Yes what model O2 sensor goes to each location matters, they're different. You didn't post your model year or engine type so I can't provide model numbers for you but they're available by model year at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-jeep-wrangler-tj-oxygen-o2-sensor-thread.4068/

Sorry about that, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 6 cylinder

Sorry about that, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 6 cylinder
NTK #23122 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)
NTK #23506 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)
NTK #23099 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)
NTK #23099 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)

If you find the above in NGK, they'll be the same part numbers.

The below is just for their locations, pay no attention to the below sensor part numbers, they are incorrect for your 2000.

O2 sensor locations.gif

Reactions: SSTJ

Jerry, Thank you for the welcome aboard. I can see where the socket and thread chaser can be useful, however, the harness extensions are square and my O2 sensor attachments are round. Don't see how these would work. I certainly could be missing something. Thanks, Dan

If you have the right p/n NTK, NGK, or Mopar O2 sensors they will have square electrical plugs to match the square O2 sensor connectors on your TJ's wiring harness. I don't know what you mean by harness extensions though. Are you talking about aftermarket wiring harness extensions that plug into the OEM connectors on the Jeep's wiring harness? If so I don't know why they would be there.

Jerry is not pulling your leg there is only one route to go on the sensors and trust me the experience with those things is here on this forum-I am only chiming in because I just did mine

If you have the right p/n NTK, NGK, or Mopar O2 sensors they will have square electrical plugs to match the square O2 sensor connectors on your TJ's wiring harness. I don't know what you mean by harness extensions though. Are you talking about aftermarket wiring harness extensions that plug into the OEM connectors on the Jeep's wiring harness? If so I don't know why they would be there.

I was following and referring to the thread of info that had a picture of where the different Banks and Sensors are and what is upstream vs downstream. Additionally on that thread is a recommendation for a sensor offset socket and a thread chaser to clean the O2 sensor holes. Lastly, there is a referral to aftermarket wiring harnesses to extend the reach of what we are replacing. Attached is a picture of what I have. That plug is round. I see the keyways sticking out, probably so it fits in a square plug which the mopar extensions have.
  • 41T5mTNk22L._AC_.jpg
Click image to open expanded view

NGK 23099 Oxygen Sensor​

Brand: NGK
4.7 out of 5 stars 303 ratings

| 9 answered questions

Reactions: Jerry Bransford