Does my harmonic balancer need to be replaced?

wranglerjames4x4

I am in the process of finding, and fixing worn out parts, leaks etc. I was in the middle of trying to find some horrible grinding noise coming from the front of my jeep. The noise magnifies when my wheel is tuned full driver side and going in out of drive way!? I then noticed a tick and leak coming from harmonic balancer. Do I attempt to do Timing chain Gaskets etc...

Any ideas on front end noise?

crankshaft pulley.JPG

crankshaft.JPG

full.JPG

If the noise gets louder when turning the wheel, especially at full lock, the noise may be coming from the power steering pump. When they go they tend to make a loud distinctive whine. Look up some videos on YouTube regarding bad power steering pumps.

Also check the Oil Pump Drive Assembly (OPDA), especially if you have an 05-06. There’s dozens of threads on here about it.

Last edited:
There should be a bolt holding the crank pulley on. I'm not sure how it hasn't come off yet.
I just assumed the OP had removed it but, if not, deff need to get that replaced!

From the pics, it looks like you most assuredly have a bad crankshaft seal. Until you get that replaced, check your oil level often. I also see some deterioration in the harmonic balancer's rubber. If it looks like it's giving up the ghost, a new balancer (while you're there) would also be in order.

As for the grinding noise...does it occur when the Jeep is not moving (but the steering still in the position where the noise occurs) or is it only when it's rolling? If it does it when stationary, it's very likely it is the steering pump. If it only happens while moving, there is probably something in the suspension, steering linkages, brakes, etc. causing the noise.

EDIT: Also, if you would put in some info about your TJ on your profile (year, type (SE, X, Sport, etc.), engine size (yep, we see it's a 4.0 in the pics), etc., it can help the gang narrow down possible causes for issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel City 06