Does this noise mean it's time to replace the power steering pump?

dtroth91

Supporting Member
This noise just started today. Pretty sure I isolated it to the PSP. Put a screwdriver to it with my ear on the other side. Can feel it in the belt assembly as well.
Anything else I should look for, or is it toast?

Steering is tight, though I think one of the joints in the steering shaft is clunking and needs replaced(unrelated as far as I can tell. I can feel it in the brake pedal as well). From what i can read, the entire shaft needs to be replaced.

I also have a slight click from just behind the steering wheel (second video)(also unrelated from the clunk in steering shaft joint, and the previous noise which I presume is from the PSP). The black plastic piece of trim will move at some points but doesnt seem to be causing the noise.

Both noises are made from wiggling the steering back and forth quickly with the car off. The steering wheel click, and steering shaft clunk can be felt/heard with the car on, but cant hear anything from PSP with the car on(yet).

Remove the belt and run it briefly first, and also turn the pulley by hand when the belt is off and engine not running and see how it feels, report back between 2-4pm eastern standard time in all lower case letters. We do power steering class at that time at the home office.

Removed the belt. Pulley spins freely with no obvious resistance or "catching". Pulley doesnt seem to be loose at all.

What am I looking for when running the engine briefly without the belt?

The same noise. If the noise goes away then your choices are ac, power steering pump, water pump, or your idler pulley. If the noise still remains you’ve probably got a major problem.

Reactions: AndyG
Cannot replicate that same noise with belt off and car off. When its running with belt on or off, no noise as far as I can tell

Cannot replicate that same noise with belt off and car off. When its running with belt on or off, no noise as far as I can tell

Your post is confusing? Take the belt off, and start the motor. Only run it a moment to see if the noise is there with the belt off and the motor running. (With the belt off the water pump is not pumping) you can run it with the belt off for maybe three minutes without damaging the motor.
If the noise is gone then you know it is something driven by the belt. 🤔

apologies.

Thanks for the diagnostic tips.

After removing the belt, I believe I narrowed down the noise to the pulley. Spinning it continuous there is no resistance, but moving it back and forth creates what I believe is the source of the noise I am after. Does this excessive play warrant replacement of the pulley?

apologies.

Thanks for the diagnostic tips.

After removing the belt, I believe I narrowed down the noise to the pulley. Spinning it continuous there is no resistance, but moving it back and forth creates what I believe is the source of the noise I am after. Does this excessive play warrant replacement of the pulley?
View attachment 336029

Is that the AC compressor or alternator ?

Its the power steering pulley. Ac pulley is quiet as can be. Same with the idler pulley which was replaced 20k some miles ago