Dome light won't come on with door open

mgroeger

TJ Enthusiast
2004 LJ with factory soft top now has hard top on it.

New to the TJ model so I figured that the doom light doesn't come on when the doors open since it hasn't been. I can turn the light on by using the switch on the blinker/light stick on the column and when I shut the Jeep off the dome and floor lights will come on for about 30-45 seconds.
I just noticed today the door switches and tailgate connectors... SMH. What do I need to do to get these to work and also what do I need to do when I drive with doors off?

Fuse panel behind glove box. Fuse #4.

The connection pins on the tailgate are for the 3rd brake light. Not the dome lights.

Reactions: JMT
So you are saying make sure that is in for the door pins to work? Then I have to take it out when I want to run doors off? That seems... well stupid, that is the way Jeep designed this?

So you are saying make sure that is in for the door pins to work? Then I have to take it out when I want to run doors off? That seems... well stupid, that is the way Jeep designed this?
Yes its was designed to do this. When you remove your doors you pull the fuse.

Unless you remove and put on your doors every day i have never seen a problem with it.

Yes that’s the design. Most people just leave the fuse out and use the light stalk to turn the lights on when needed. Quadratec makes a switch that leads to the fuse box that you can install or make one yourself.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_200.htm

One word of caution, with the fuse out the chime for leaving the interior lights or headlights on is disabled.

Reactions: KCsTJ

The fuse is labeled “Door Defeat”.
Yes. That’s how Jeep designed it. Pretty simple and effective really. I’ve been removing/replacing the fuse for 7 years now. Summer time the fuse stays out. Winter time it gets replaced.

Reactions: Richard Brust
I pulled fuse #4 back in 2008 the first time I removed the doors on my 04 TJ. I liked the quiet and no beeping so much, I never put it back in.
Making sure the headlights are off as I hop out of the Jeep has become habit.

Reactions: JMT
Man, thanks for all the input. This is what I love about this forum and the TJ. It's been around so long and you guys know so much about it that I can have an answer in minutes.

"Hey, my corner oil pan bolt came loose"
"Here's how to fix it, replace the turn signal fluid, air down the driver's front tire 1psi, get some permatex anti-sieze and put the bolt back in, have a beer. Trust us this works."
:)

Reactions: Jamison C
My problem is that the dome light only comes on when I open the door the steering wheel switch does nothing. Any idea if its a fuse also?

Another way to do it is to install switches in the door pin circuit. I did this on both sides.

19-10-31 9.JPG

Last edited: