Door pin bushing?

mde8965

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So the other day I removed the doors on my 2004 TJ. I believe these doors were never off the Jeep. Anyway, when I removed the drivers door, in the upper hinge, when the pin came out, there was something that looked like a thin bushing on top and partway into the hinge pin tube that half way pulled off with the door. I pressed it back on. Then when I went to put my doors off mirrors in that hinge, that bushing completely disintegrated.

Is there some sort of bushing that is supposed to be there, and is there a major issue with it being gone now that will bite me down the road? Thinking its not a big deal, just wanted to check...

Is there some sort of bushing that is supposed to be there

looks something like this:

jk-door-hinge-bushing-31.jpg

is there a major issue with it being gone now that will bite me down the road?

door misalignment and rattling come to mind

Thinking its not a big deal, just wanted to check...

For ~$30, I'd get a set of the Delrin bushings and replace them all.

Reactions: Drizit and mde8965
Reactions: fourpointzero
I still need to remove my OE passenger side pins. To hopefully ease the work, I bought a Bernzomatic butane torch to apply heat where needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to use a drill to get the old ones completely out, just make sure it is sized so you don't enlarge the hole in the hinge.
If you were doing it again would you use a drill right away to avoid beating on the door/ hinges? I plan on replacing mine and I’m expecting a problem. Thanks.

Reactions: mde8965
If you were doing it again would you use a drill right away to avoid beating on the door/ hinges? I plan on replacing mine and I’m expecting a problem. Thanks.
It did not take long for me to realize using a hammers and punch was going to not only not work but damage the hinge as well as paint around it. The right sized drill took it out in a second as most of it spun out with the bit.

Reactions: mde8965
Lol, mine are absolutely fried. I definitely need the Delrin replacements...Anyone know if they're available on Amazon or is it just Qtec?

I purchased the Delrin replacements last year it came with the punch I eased the punch into the door hinge and saw how close it all was to the rest to the door hinge and decided not to go down that route, will it out in the summer when I start taking the doors off again.

Lol, mine are absolutely fried. I definitely need the Delrin replacements...Anyone know if they're available on Amazon or is it just Qtec?
I could not find the Delrin ones on Amazon. Ordered mine from Qtec. Not in stock but it gave me an estimated ship date of 4/10. We will see. thing that sucks with Qtec is unless you have $49 worth of product they charge shipping which in my case was $13. So instead I ordered something else I needed with it

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
TMR Customs makes delin ones themselves and sell em with or without the exact sized punch you need to get the old ones out.

Got a set in mine as the oe ones were junk and made it almost impossible to get the doors off. Just make sure you clean any rust pitting on the door pins or they will squeek.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.