Eaton E-Locker - 19822-010

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
OK E-locker fans...anyone see or hear of any problems with the Eaton E-Locker - P/N 19822-010 for the Dana Super 35 only having three pinions? Haven't heard of any issues that couldn't be attributed to an over developed right foot or a momentary lapse of reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP98
Not sure what the "Super" 35 is. I do have the 35 in the rear of mine.
The Super 35 is upgraded 30 spline axles (usually alloy) from the stock 27 spline axles and a locker of some sort. Usually a gear upgrade / ratio change as well, but that's just a knock-on and not really required for the "super" upgrade. The change from a 27 spline to a 30 spline axle is the money shot. It makes the Dana 35 much stronger and keeps the shafts from breaking. (lol, well, usually) The upgrade to a locker is required because there aren't any 30 spline carriers available for the Dana 35 that aren't an aftermarket locker.

A Super 35 kit is one way to beef up a TJ rear axle to support bigger tires, a locker and more abusive off road conditions. I happen to like the idea of keeping my Dana 35 in the rear for the conditions that I wheel in. It's a lot of bang for the buck and not overkill. Some go with a Ford 8.8, Dana 44 or Dana 60 rear axle. Those tend to be more work and expense unless you happen on to an already set up Dana 44 out of a TJ for a good price. Rare, but it does happen.

Last edited:
The Super 35 is upgraded 30 spline axles (usually alloy) from the stock 27 spline axles and a locker of some sort. Usually a gear upgrade / ratio change as well, but that's just a knock-on and not really required for the "super" upgrade. The change from a 27 spline to a 30 spline axle is the money shot. It makes the Dana 35 much stronger and keeps the shafts from breaking. (lol, well, usually) The upgrade to a locker is required because there aren't any 30 spline carriers available for the Dana 35 that aren't an aftermarket locker.

A Super 35 kit is one way to beef up a TJ rear axle to support bigger tires, a locker and more abusive off road conditions. I happen to like the idea of keeping my Dana 35 in the rear for the conditions that I wheel in. It's a lot of bang for the buck and not overkill. Some go with a Ford 8.8, Dana 44 or Dana 60 rear axle. Those tend to be more work and expense unless you happen on to an already set up Dana 44 out of a TJ for a good price. Rare, but it does happen.
Super 35 with an Eaton E Locker sounds awesome. Following this thread as I haven't heard anything about issues with the dana 35 e-locker only having 3 pinions.

I kinda figured that's what it was. I don't beat my Jeep and go slow and easy with it, so that's why I figured I could get by with the Dana 35 with the E-locker. But I was reading several articles in here and for a peace of mind thinking about putting different axles in it. Is it too late since I already put the locker in it? I also went down to 4:56 gears. I think I still have the 27 spline in it.

I kinda figured that's what it was. I don't beat my Jeep and go slow and easy with it, so that's why I figured I could get by with the Dana 35 with the E-locker. But I was reading several articles in here and for a peace of mind thinking about putting different axles in it. Is it too late since I already put the locker in it? I also went down to 4:56 gears. I think I still have the 27 spline in it.
There are chromoly 27 spline axles available that are stronger. If you want to run the 30's you have to buy a new locker.

Reactions: StG58
Regarding the Eaton 19822-020 with 1-pinion mate shaft and its half shaft that secures it... how do the said shafts go inside the carrier in a Dana 35 rear diff? Anyone have a link with instructions? Thanks.

The main spider shaft is retained by the third spider shaft and a snap ring. It is actually a pretty good design as it eliminates the cross bolt other C clip riffs use.

The main spider shaft is retained by the third spider shaft and a snap ring. It is actually a pretty good design as it eliminates the cross bolt other C clip riffs use.

And each shaft end has a spider gear attached to it, correct? That’s how I have mine currently reassembled, after the disc brake conversion, but wanted to make sure it was right.

And each shaft end has a spider gear attached to it, correct? That’s how I have mine currently reassembled, after the disc brake conversion, but wanted to make sure it was right.

Yes spiders ride on end of each shaft.

Though this is for @lowranger's 5 year old post, it may help someone who found his posts in a Search and the resulting bad information given in some replies. Avoid installing chromoly alloy aftermarket axle shafts like 4340 or 4140 in a Dana 35. Their heat treatment leaves the outer surface not hard enough for the type of raceless outer bearings used in a Dana 35.

This is what happens when a chromoly like 4340 is used in a Dana 35. You can see where its raceless bearings wore down through the surface.

Dana 35 bearing worn shaft.png

Go strictly with 1541H, which is not an alloy and not chromoly, it's a heat treatment that will hold up to the raceless type of outer bearings in a Dana 35. 30 spline 1541H shafts are what come in better quality Super 35 kits like from www.revolutiongear.com

The problem I have with 27 spline 1541H shafts I see though is I don't believe they are strong enough for a locker. @mrblaine would know for sure though, he is the expert on Super 35 kits and 1541H, he is who with Superior Axle developed the Super 35 design.