Electric brake booster as an alternative to hydroboost or vacuum brakes?

I don't think you quite have a firm grasp on what stupidly low pedal travel is yet. With hydroboost and a 1.25" bore master, from free height to full lock up is about 1- 1 1/2" of pedal travel depending on how much free play has been adjusted into the pedal push rod into the hydroboost and how well adjusted the push rod length into the master is.

If you could use the 1.75 version, that is still twice as much piston area as the 1.25" bore master which is 50% larger than the stock 1". Pedal travel to full lock up is at least stupidly low.

I can tell you that even the larger GM D52 caliper will not do much at 800 psi. We've tested that trying to solve a front brake issue with the larger Dodge master swap so many tout as an upgrade. At 1.25", the most we could generate with both feet on the pedal was 800 psi measured at the caliper.
That makes a lot of sense. I’ve never messed with hydroboost myself so I have no frame of reference for how it would function real-world.

The Hydromax is basically a hydroboost with an electric backup in lieu of an accumulator backup. The advantage of the electric being that it can function repeatedly in the event of hydraulic failure. The disadvantage is of course that the electric backup won’t provide nearly the same level of boost for the first press or two as an accumulator.

Another interesting thing I came across a while ago is what appears to essentially be an electric hydroboost:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Comp...r-Booster-Master-Cylinder-Disc-Disc,8335.html
Instead of taking fluid from the power steering or other hydraulic supply, it takes fluid pressure from a separate electric pump and accumulator.

Not sure I’d trust it myself, but if the motor/pump/accumulator is sufficiently reliable, it should function comparable to ordinary hydroboost.

That makes a lot of sense. I’ve never messed with hydroboost myself so I have no frame of reference for how it would function real-world.

The Hydromax is basically a hydroboost with an electric backup in lieu of an accumulator backup. The advantage of the electric being that it can function repeatedly in the event of hydraulic failure. The disadvantage is of course that the electric backup won’t provide nearly the same level of boost for the first press or two as an accumulator.

Another interesting thing I came across a while ago is what appears to essentially be an electric hydroboost:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Comp...r-Booster-Master-Cylinder-Disc-Disc,8335.html
Instead of taking fluid from the power steering or other hydraulic supply, it takes fluid pressure from a separate electric pump and accumulator.

Not sure I’d trust it myself, but if the motor/pump/accumulator is sufficiently reliable, it should function comparable to ordinary hydroboost.
I'm lost. This started with the same product to supply braking power for flat towing and here we are full circle.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Steel City 06