Engine replacement on my wrangler TJ Sport

ivan cox

Guys i have blown the engine on my wrangler 2005 Tj Sport

It's the petrol 4.0L.

Anybody done a conversion to diesel? what engine would you recommend?

I'm based in south africa.

Thanks in advance

When you say blown, do you mean overheated and cracked the head?
Maybe spun a bearing or did it throw a rod, etc.
If the head is okay consider a short block, and possibly one with a mild stroker.
Is any part is the engine salvageable?

When you say blown, do you mean overheated and cracked the head?
Maybe spun a bearing or did it throw a rod, etc.
If the head is okay consider a short block, and possibly one with a mild stroker.
Is any part is the engine salvageable?

The engine did overheat.

According to the mechanic they have repaired it but taken out the thermostat and installed a new radiator, they said it should be fine?
the engine was not opened as they were nervous to do so because it has a cast iron head?

I have been driving it with a slight miss fire and the engine runs at a very low temperature...

i have been advised that this is nothing to worry about.

The engine running at a low temp is not a good thing. They are designed to run at 195*F and that's what the PCM expects to see.
If the engine runs cool, the PCM thinks it's still warming up so it keeps the mixture on the rich side.
I would install a Stant 195* thermostat asap, them determine the cause of the overheating problem, fix that, then address the misfire issue.
Any codes ?

Last edited:
You have to go into a Jeep dealership. Not just a fly by night mechanic. I was in Lagos once and they have surplus engines there.
If the block is not cracked, coolant mixed with oil or what not, you should have a chance to do an engine overhaul.