Evap smoke test coming out of IDP filter

Hunterd5400

hi all, i have a 2004 tj with an evap leak I'm trying to track down. i did a smoke test on the evap side and the only leak i can find is out of the leak detection pump filter. is it supposed to do that?

I don't think so. Mines a 97 and when I did a smoke test I didn't have any leaks.

My evap solenoid was full of charcoal because the cannister failed.

Replaced both, did a smoke test, replaced my throttle body gasket and no more codes .

-Mac

hi all, i have a 2004 tj with an evap leak I'm trying to track down. i did a smoke test on the evap side and the only leak i can find is out of the leak detection pump filter. is it supposed to do that?

I’m with Mac, I do not believe there should be any leak. It is a 100% contained system.

Mine is an 05 with it all behind the passenger wheel well, can’t recall if that started 05 or a year earlier, but none of them are supposed to leak out, otherwise you could get a gas smell in the cabin etc.

I just ran into the same thing on Saturday. I believe the LDP filter is on the intake side of the LDP, were it draws air to pressurize the system. If so, wouldn’t it be outside of the closed system as it’s the LDP itself that seals it? I removed the hose going to it from the LDP, blocked it with a spark plug & redid my smoke test. Once I did this I found that the diaphragm cover of my LDP was cracked and venting smoke.
1719847335331.png

I’m referencing the setup on my 2000 2.5L, so it may be a little different.
Check out this video around the 11 minute mark:

I’m found my replacement here based solely on price. Again, yours may be different.
https://a.co/d/0gUJXg4H

Last edited: