Exterior bolt removal made easy

Neskie Crawler

TJ Enthusiast
This is a helpful tip to other Jeep newbies- someone gave me a set of brand new mirror relocating brackets and I like the idea-you still have side mirrors when the doors are off, but I realized those torx bolts were on for 20 years and would need help coming off. I remembered a tool I bought about 30 yrs ago and dug out my impact driver.The torx head is new. It is a spring loaded tool made for loosening those hard to break bolts/nuts/screws.Set the tool in reverse to remove a bolt, apply just a little tension as if turning the bolt out by hand, and whack the end of the tool with a hammer as it was designed several times and the bolt comes right out. I removed these exterior bolts without any pb baster /wd 40 . Dry. Came right out. A necessary tool for these old exterior bolts.
002.JPG

I know this might sound like a stupid question but where can I pick up of these drivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had one of those for years, and it's an awesome little tool to have. Actually just used it last night to take the little Phillips bolts out that hold the rotors on on a Civic.

This is a helpful tip to other Jeep newbies- someone gave me a set of brand new mirror relocating brackets and I like the idea-you still have side mirrors when the doors are off, but I realized those torx bolts were on for 20 years and would need help coming off. I remembered a tool I bought about 30 yrs ago and dug out my impact driver.The torx head is new. It is a spring loaded tool made for loosening those hard to break bolts/nuts/screws.Set the tool in reverse to remove a bolt, apply just a little tension as if turning the bolt out by hand, and whack the end of the tool with a hammer as it was designed several times and the bolt comes right out. I removed these exterior bolts without any pb baster /wd 40 . Dry. Came right out. A necessary tool for these old exterior bolts.
View attachment 3920
Agreed... that is one of my favorite tools. Especially on Torx bolts. Unlike any other tool the fact you strike it with a hammer drives the bit into the bolt at the same time the impact torque is applied.

Reactions: derekmac
Great point I failed to mention. That is a great feature of this tool, it will bury the bit to the bottom as in the torx or push the socket to the limit on a standard bolt head. Either case it helps ensure the tool mates perfectly as can be with the hardware without the stripping you'll get with a conventional wrench.