Colorado Factory side steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Price
Factory side steps for 03-06. Driver side is in great shape, passenger side has some cracks and holes in the bottom but top looks good. No W bolts, so if it's a new install rather than replacing damaged ones, you'll need to find the w bolts elsewhere, or add nutserts in your frame.

Price is obo. I sold some from my 99 a few years ago for that much, though I'm not sure how much demand there will be for them.

IMG_20210519_232242.jpg

IMG_20210531_165940.jpg

Last edited:
Is it just the steps, or do you have the W bolts that they mount with?
was the "W" a type-o? They just had hex head flange bolts. I should have them, but I'm packing for a move and my garage is a mess right now. Might have to look for them for a bit.

The later models had a W shaped bolt that went in the frame and nuts attached to it. Each end was threaded for the nuts.

The later models had a W shaped bolt that went in the frame and nuts attached to it. Each end was threaded for the nuts.
weird. so the nuts went on from the outside? Mine is every bit an '06 but I have nutserts in the frame and bolts that go into the nutserts from outside. Maybe someone added the steps and used nutserts and bolts instead of the factory hardware.

So I guess that answers the question - no W bolts.

weird. so the nuts went on from the outside? Mine is every bit an '06 but I have nutserts in the frame and bolts that go into the nutserts from outside. Maybe someone added the steps and used nutserts and bolts instead of the factory hardware.

So I guess that answers the question - no W bolts.
The earlier years had nutserts, so someone probably added them. The W bolts seem to be hard to find.

They look like this.

11BE82BB-5C9F-4085-9ED6-2476E7DFE705.jpeg

The earlier years had nutserts, so someone probably added them. The W bolts seem to be hard to find.

They look like this.

View attachment 255927

the plot thickens. I only have upper bolts, and the lower side has a hook that grabs a slot in the side of the frame.

Do I have early TJ steps mounted to a late model frame?

I’ve seen lots of people put the nutserts in the frame and just use bolts. There’s no problem with doing that.

the plot thickens. I only have upper bolts, and the lower side has a hook that grabs a slot in the side of the frame.

Do I have early TJ steps mounted to a late model frame?

I’m not sure, I think some had hooks and some didn’t, but I don’t know which.

I believe the 03-06 steps used slots and hooks at the bottom and bolts at the top, either with the nutserts or the W bolts. The 97-02 setup had 4 bolts (2 top and 2 bottom) and were exclusively nutserts.

My 2006 is slots at the bottom and 2 bolts at the top, which is why I'm looking for that setup, preferably with the W bolt setup as my frame has been undercoated.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I dug through my photos and my 99 definitely had 8 bolts per side, no hooks and no slots in the frame. So I at least have these right, they are for the late models.

But I also do not have the w bolts, so the buyer will need to source their own or use nutserts instead.

I bought some like OP and simply added my own nursert. They are a bitch to add because of the proximity to the body mount but doable with either a pneumatic (easy) or a lever (troublesome) but in either event, “w” bolts aren’t required for a successful installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.