Fan not blowing on high

ngreene9

Hey guys,

The heat inside my 1999 Wrangler won't blow on the highest setting. I just replaced the resistor and the fan switch probably about 6 months ago or so.

Do these parts go bad that quickly? Or do you think I have a bigger problem brewing inside?

Thanks!

The resistor pack is bypassed when on the highest fan speed setting so it sounds like a switch or wiring problem. Melted wiring is a common result of the motor going bad which causes it to draw excessive current.

Sounds like the fan speed selector switch contacts.
Wiggle the switch know a little and if that fan speed works; then it is certainly the contacts.
As JB said above; check the wiring going to the fan speed switch for signs of melting.

I have a similar issue.
On my 97' Wrangler I only have two fan speeds the lowest or the highest but no in between. For the first four options on the dial it'll stay on the lowest blow but when I turn it to the highest one it'll come out very fast.
Could this be the resistor too or something?

Very good chance it is the resistor; remove it and inspect the individual elements for burned out resistors. I would also check the speed control switch to ensure the wiring is not melted.
As described above, the resistor pack is bypassed/not used when the switch is in the High fan speed setting. The resistor pack is only used for the lower speed fan settings.

I had this happen a few months ago. It turned out to be the wire going directly to the fuse. In my case it looked like the wire was leaking Ajax. Hope this helps.
476FD9B2-8671-46A8-AD6C-18595C2AF444.jpeg