Finished my upgrades to 2000 TJ

Olav

Supporting Member
Snagged this low mileage 2000 TJ last fall with only 29,384 original miles on it. Previous owner had done a lot to it...4 inch lift, long arms, Teraflex CRD60 rear axle, Dana 44 front with manual Warn hubs, Wildwood 4 piston caliper rear brakes, Atlas transfer case, ARB front and rear air lockers, full custom interior roll cage, Flowmaster exhaust, Curry antirock on the back with stock sway bar up front on detachable sway bar links, and more. He had put over $29,000 into parts and labor - I have all the receipts - but only used it a few times over the years including a two trips to Moab and then riding local Forest Service and BLM roads locally. It was basically a vanity Jeep for him. I had told him a couple of years ago I wanted right of first refusal if he ever decided to sell it. Due to an unexpected life change he needed to part with it last fall and I was first in line. No rust, no body damage, perfect interior. Since I got it I have changed out the old cracking Micky Thompson tires to 35x12.5 BFG KO2s, changed out the chrome ProComp wheels to GFX satin black wheels, sold the old school Ramsey winch for a new Warn EVO winch, Replaced the OEM headlights with LED ones, replaced all ball joints and bushings, and the big one...knowing the potential for this model year's 0331 head to crack I just finished installing a new Clearwater head to preventatively avoid that on this low mileage 4.0L engine. While I had it apart I also changed out the water pump with a new OEM one, replaced the fan clutch, and with the 24 year old radiator showing a very small developing crack in the top reservoir I replaced it with a new Denso radiator. Whew! Now let the fun begin! We spend a month every year in Silverton, CO riding the Alpine Loop trails. Always in our Polaris RZR but this coming summer it will be joined with this TJ! This forum has been invaluable in helping me with this project.

IMG_9480.jpeg

IMG_9484.jpeg

How do you like your BFG ATs? I have the same kind in 30", but when I upgrade I'm thinking about sticking with the same kind. Do they perform well?

How do you like your BFG ATs? I have the same kind in 30", but when I upgrade I'm thinking about sticking with the same kind. Do they perform well?

BFG ATs are great tires. I have used them on my last three trucks and now on my new-to-me TJ. I have a ranch in southern Colorado and the 6 miles of gnarly road into it can be challenging, especially when wet or with a few inches of snow. I found that the BFGs are a great compromise between highway and off-road. They wear well. The only time they are not the best is in deep mud, deep loose sand, or deep snow...they work acceptably ok but in those conditions a Mud/Snow tire would be a bit better. But M/S tires are just too noisy on pavement, are noisy on the road, don't wear nearly as well, and frankly I find that the BFGs do 98% of what I need out of them in the conditions I ride in. In my opinion you can't go wrong with BFG K02 ATs.

BFG ATs are great tires. I have used them on my last three trucks and now on my new-to-me TJ. I have a ranch in southern Colorado and the 6 miles of gnarly road into it can be challenging, especially when wet or with a few inches of snow. I found that the BFGs are a great compromise between highway and off-road. They wear well. The only time they are not the best is in deep mud, deep loose sand, or deep snow...they work acceptably ok but in those conditions a Mud/Snow tire would be a bit better. But M/S tires are just too noisy on pavement, are noisy on the road, don't wear nearly as well, and frankly I find that the BFGs do 98% of what I need out of them in the conditions I ride in. In my opinion you can't go wrong with BFG K02 ATs.

Thanks for the info! I live in Utah and like to drive on the sand dunes, so maybe it would be worth it to get mud tires. I guess I'll just have to see what terrain I drive on most.