First gear shudder

I just replaced all mine with the non greasable. Jerry and a few others recommended those, I agree with WNC05Willys. For $18 each and an easy change with a rental tool, they're solid without needing grease.

Well tomorrow I’m taking the rear driveshaft down to a local shop since I don’t have a press once I install and test drive with new tire pressure lowered I will report back. Backstory on tire pressure, I installed my rubicon wheels off my JK onto the wife’s TJ and we’re sitting at around 35PSI on KM2’s. Hopefully the combination of it all solves my issue of the shuddering. More to follow.

Well I got the rear driveshaft u joints changed and lowered tire pressure to 26psi all the way around. Didn’t seem to change anything. I did, however, discover an exhaust hangar broken and exhaust is laying on the skid plate/trans mount. Really really hoping that fixes it but I think it’s just wishful thinking at this point. Heading to muffler shop tomorrow to have it installed and will report back again.

Reactions: Blondie70
Is your rear axle centered? I did a small lift as well, and immediately got the same symptoms. Shudder in first gear, and some vibrations at certain speeds.

Dropping the transfer case about an inch solved the vibrations, and greatly reduced the shudder. I'm going to put an adjustable track bar on the rear to get the axle centered and I believe that will fix it.

Is your rear axle centered? I did a small lift as well, and immediately got the same symptoms. Shudder in first gear, and some vibrations at certain speeds.

Dropping the transfer case about an inch solved the vibrations, and greatly reduced the shudder. I'm going to put an adjustable track bar on the rear to get the axle centered and I believe that will fix it.

it is all centered up, although I still would like to drop the TC some. I did however fix it! You won’t believe what it was. I will add it in my next post

So I fixed the issue. The exhaust hangar we broke was the culprit. The exhaust hangar broke during clutch install and the exhaust was lying on the skid plate, that’s a pretty obvious giveaway of course it’s going to rub and make noise, the issue stemmed from the hangar bushing where the actual metal tube that gets welded goes inside, it was all wallowed out which was causing the crazy vibration of the entire exhaust system during takeoff where it is most under load.
I’m sure this won’t fix everyone’s issue on the shudder but something that ALOT of us may overlook. Thank you all for your help on this