Fixing to buy 06 sport. 58k miles

A-a-ron90

Life for me is getting blessed more and more seemingly by the day. And with my new employment and school that im being sent through i have decided to go with a 2006 jeep wrangler. Should be completing all the paperwork at the dealership next weekend. What are some known problems or worries i shluld have going into the purchase of my jeep?

Screenshot_20190817-183450_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: xxdabroxx
Yes actually, is it geared correctly for the increase in tire size? Good luck asking the dealer for some off the top to correct the axle gearing.

The 42RLE trans is very sensitive to larger tires.

It’s a complete dog without re gearing the axles.

Looks great! I have an 06 Rubi. and it has been great. Tho mine is a 6 speed. There is a fair amount of talk of auto trans issue. Think it is the computer. The OPDA is a known problem too. Other than that there is the normal things a 14 year old vehicle may need. Lots of good folks here to help.

Reactions: A-a-ron90
Check if it has a Dana 44 in the rear.

OPDA only possible issue

Better do some home work before you plunk down your money. There are multiple issues with the 06 with the 42RLE and the ECM causing shifting issues and the low OD gearing and the larger tires. And also something with the OPDA as well. I'm not saying to pass on it, but buyer beware. There is a ton of info here on this site, do a search.

Knowing what I do now about TJ’s, there is a zero percent chance I’d buy one from a dealer. Might just be my novice eye but that skid plate doesn’t look quite straight and a little too black. I’d make them take it off for you before you bought it to see what the rot is actually like. If I had a dollar for every “clean” TJ I looked at that fell apart with some tapping, I’d be able to build a new one from scratch.

Last edited:
Build sheet says Dana 44 rear/3.73. Looks like the dealer has some other TJ’s as well. I’d try to talk ‘em down a bit, but it looks like a nice clean TJ with low miles.

Reactions: A-a-ron90 and JMT
I agree for that price which I think is a bit high for a sport it should have a Dana 44 rear end. It looks like that dealership loves the old school tube bumpers and the big plastic fender flares. It does look very clean and low millage. What are your plans ? is it for daily driver, lite off road, or a lot of off road ?

It doesn’t have to have the Dana 44, but it would be nice.

The tires are too large for the lift, or lack of. All minor things. Enjoy the Jeep!

I paid $12k for my TJ X with 46k miles in Dec of 2016

Reactions: A-a-ron90 and mots
I agree for that price which I think is a bit high for a sport it should have a Dana 44 rear end. It looks like that dealership loves the old school tube bumpers and the big plastic fender flares. It does look very clean and low millage. What are your plans ? is it for daily driver, lite off road, or a lot of off road ?
It'd be my daily/grocery getter, i dont have a very long commute and what off-road intention i do have is to some fishing spots i have out here on the lake.

It'd be my daily/grocery getter, i dont have a very long commute and what off-road intention i do have is to some fishing spots i have out here on the lake.
If you are going to daily it, get the gearing front and rear correct. Who knows, it may have the right gearing in it. On the other hand, there are a ton of TJ/LJ owners who are ignorant to facts/benefits of getting gearing correct. Or just cheap and would rather not pay tp have it geared right.

If you are going to daily it, get the gearing front and rear correct. Who knows, it may have the right gearing in it. On the other hand, there are a ton of TJ/LJ owners who are ignorant to facts/benefits of getting gearing correct. Or just cheap and would rather not pay tp have it geared right.
Yeah im willing to do it right as i dont want to end up with a really good looking paper weight. This forum has really given me some good information to go into this with.

If they have several to choose from I would suggest a manual tranny. Now-a-days that is better than a car alarm system. Also what (to me) a Jeep should be. And can cause less problems and normally cheaper too. But any Jeep is better than a Prius!