Flat towing with Warn rock crawler bumper

Bolojohn

I bought a modified TJ with the Warn rock crawler bumpers, Front and rear.
I have read that they are not rated for flat towing the TJ or for the TJ towing a trailer.
I have also read that this is typical of Warn lawyers covering their ass.
I never saw how the stock bumper was attached, this one has about six high strength bolts and I’ve read other Postings where people said they towed with no problem but thinking of welding it to the TJ frame— wondered if anybody has gone down this road?

It's more than strong enough. Six high strength Grade 5 1/2x13 bolts pass through it directly it to the frame below.

Reactions: pc1p
I have flat towed my YJ many many times with that same Warn bumper w/o any issues what-so-ever

I bought a modified TJ with the Warn rock crawler bumpers, Front and rear.
I have read that they are not rated for flat towing the TJ or for the TJ towing a trailer.
I have also read that this is typical of Warn lawyers covering their ass.
I never saw how the stock bumper was attached, this one has about six high strength bolts and I’ve read other Postings where people said they towed with no problem but thinking of welding it to the TJ frame— wondered if anybody has gone down this road?
I have the exact bumpers front and rear. I tow a 5x11 trailer regularly. I towed it 2,000 miles to and from Moab with nearly a gross weight of 1,700lbs.

That rear bumper is not just bolted to the frame, it also has 8 more bolts up behind the gas tank that bolt to the crossmember. The receiver is through-welded. To strengthen it further, get some frame tie-ins.

At that point, it’s virtually indestructible.

As long as the Warn bumper is properly bolted to the frame it will be strong enough to flat tow your jeep.

Even this arrangement is more than strong enough for flat towing and has been successfully used by jeepers since the 1950's:

img_0059-1-1024x768-jpg.jpg

pc060544-1-1024x768-jpg.jpg

img_0125-1-1024x768-jpg.jpg

See:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-properly-tow-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.2479/

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket
I have a Warn stubby front bumper the the PO installed on my Jeep with the complete set-up for flat towing, I’ve never used it but as Jerry said it looks like it’s more than strong enough. I can post pictures if you want to see how this one is attached.

BTW, this was my "shopping list" for the items necessary to set up my LJ to be flat towed legally:

Sourced from e-trailer.com:

Roadmaster High-Low Adapter for Tow Bars - 2" Hitches - 10 1/4" Rise/Drop
11-1/4" Long – 10,000# GTW 400# TW P/N RM-048-10

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar
Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 12" shank - 6,000 lbs. P/N RM-522

Roadmaster Adapter for Jeep D-Ring Bumper Mounts to Roadmaster Motor Home Mount Tow Bars
3/4" Thick P/N RM-035

Roadmaster 7-Wire to 6-Wire Coiled-to-Straight Cord for Roadmaster Tow Bars
8' Long P/N RM-1676-7

CE Smith Tie-Down Bracket for Boat Trailers
Galvanized Steel - Bolt On, 2 ea., P/N CE26214G
[used as safety cable attachment points]

Roadmaster Tow Bar Cover P/N RM-055-3
[The only thing on the list that isn't essential to flat tow legally - but it allows me to leave the tow bar attached to my
Class B motorhome and protected from the elements]

Sourced on Amazon.com:

Roadmaster 76" Single Hook, Straight Safety Cables
8,000 lbs P/N RM-645-76 [Also available from etrailer.com.]

Sourced on Ebay:

Previously owned RVi3 Supplemental Brake System

[If purchasing a new supplemental brake system, my choice would have been the Demco Stay and Play proportional brake system from etrailer.com P/N SM99251.]

Sourced locally:

Magnetic Trailer Lights
[already on hand in my trailer tow kit- 6-way trailer plug and trailer wire is permanently installed in jeep with 4-way plug
at rear of jeep, magnetic lights were cut down to short pigtail to be plugged in at rear of jeep when jeep is towed.
This avoids cutting into the factory wiring.]
Hitch pins and clips
Miscellaneous hardware

Reactions: twistedlv
Check craigslist for this stuff, if you were closer to Seattle I have the full kit with wiring end to end. Reese or one of the others makes a $50 or so direct plug in wiring kit for the lights too

Looking for previously owned flat tow gear is good advice. There are new motor home owners every year who discover that they really don't like motor homes and offer their almost new gear for sale at bargain prices. I have a friend who picked up everything she needed to flat tow her JKU behind her motorhome for $600, including a Brake Buddy supplemental brake system. Retail, what she purchased for $600 lists for almost $2K . The retail prices for the items necessary to flat tow start at about $1,000 or so for basic tow bar, safety cables/chains, lights and the supplemental brake system required in 49 states and all of Canada to flat tow a vehicle the weight of a TJ.

When I started investigating flaw towing my LJ, for once in my life I decided to get what I wanted instead of focusing on the cheapest way to do it. What the hell, I'm the guy that has to hook and unhook everything so why not buy the stuff that makes my life easiest. So I made a list of exactly what I wanted and why I thought I wanted those things, then put on blinders to any bright, shiny too-good-to-be-true alternatives and price shopped both new and used for just those specific items.

I found a previously owned RVi3 supplemental brake system at a great price but couldn't find a Roadmaster non-binding motorhome mount tow bar on the used market that was appreciably cheaper than new considering shipping cost. There were plenty of used tow bars without the non-binding feature, but none with, and it was a feature I wanted. Since the big ticket items on the list are the tow bar and brake system, I decided to buy the necessary cables, wiring, etc. new from E-Trailer.com at the same time I purchased the Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain non-binding tow bar rather than spend hours searching Craigslist and Faceplant Marketplace for deals that may never materialize before I need my tow system to be operational.

The good thing about E-Trailer is that they price match for 30 days after order. I didn't bother to price match anyone except E-Trailer because their own pricing algorithm price shops third parties daily. After I calculated the price adjustments after purchase I saved 24% compared to the initial prices. I have price checked the three most expensive items since and two have been reduced further but only by a few cents so I think I got the best deal one could expect for new gear purchased online.

Last edited:
I had brackets made that bolt on to the bumper my tow bar connect too. I used a 1/4" bottom plate with 2 pieces of angle iron welded to the plate. One side of the plate bolts through the bumper to the frame. I leave my shackles in place and connected to my safety cables there. I use a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with a surge brake (blue box connectors) and wireless battery operated lights.

IMG_5901.jpg

20201126_151037.jpg

I had brackets made that bolt on to the bumper my tow bar connect too. I used a 1/4" bottom plate with 2 pieces of angle iron welded to the plate. One side of the plate bolts through the bumper to the frame. I leave my shackles in place and connected to my safety cables there. I use a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with a surge brake (blue box connectors) and wireless battery operated lights.

View attachment 206017

View attachment 206018
I love the warn setup,could you hook the tow bar up to the warn d rings and not use the bolt ones-thanks