Ford 8.8" Rear

8.8 from an Explorer 95-2000. They will have disc brakes and 3.25 axle tubes. 31 spline axle shafts. I just picked one up two weekends ago. Hopefully I can get started on it by the end of the month. You really don't want one out of a Ranger, smaller axle shafts and smaller diameter axle tubes.

Ranger or Explorer? If I were to get an 8.8" for my 2000 Wrangler TJ should I get one from a Ranger or an Explorer, Or does it not matter?
If you go through with your plans for an 8.8, make sure it's from an Explorer that comes with the larger diameter 31 spline shafts.

Personally I wouldn't install an 8.8 and they're not as popular for TJs as they used to be. #1 it takes more time & $$$ to convert it from its factory leaf spring configuration to work in the TJ's coil spring and track bar/control arm configuration than many are led to believe. Also its pumpkin is huge so it reduces ground clearance. Then its pinion shaft is located 1.75" to the side from where the TJ's tcase output shaft is positioned so not only would the driveshaft's u-joints be working into the normal up-down angle, they'd also be working into a compound angle from the 8,8's additional sideways angle. Yes it works and many do run 8.8 axles in their TJs, it's just not an axle I'd personally run. I'd rather install a used TJ Dana 44 axle which while not common, are not impossible to find either.

Also though some don't know enough about it to understand why it's also a good choice, a good quality Super 35 kit like from Revolution Gear would also be a great choice. Its alloy chromoly 30 spline shafts are stronger than the 8.8's carbon steel 31 spline shafts and it's an easy install into your existing Dana 35 which uses the same axle tubes as the Dana 44 does. Good quality Super 35 kits, which include a full case locker, have a sterling reputation among those who actually know much about them and aren't just repeating bad information they heard from their cousin's buddy Billy Bob.

Last edited:
Good information,

As far as the 8.8 I ran one in my YJ for obvious reasons it is much easier to do in a YJ, but it had the same issue that Jerry was talking about the pumpkin was off to the side. My experience with it though was I never had any issues with that and as far as the pumpkin being bigger that is true, but I didn't have any issues there either, but I was not rock crawling like Jerry does either. I do mostly wooded trails, so for me those issues never came into play. I could see where you might want as much clearance as you can get climbing rocks though. I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend, and what you are actually going to use if for.

I know 44 out of a TJ would be a better choice, but I have been kicking around a super 35 for mine too, but here in the Phoenix area, the cheapest used 44 I can find is 4K and the cheapest 88 out of an explorer is 250 bucks, and way more common.

Since I can't weld myself, well that kind of welding, I am probably going to go for a super 35 with a Eaton e-locker when my time comes. I am waiting to decide if I really need a locker yet or for my stock 35 to blow up.

I know 44 out of a TJ would be a better choice, but I have been kicking around a super 35 for mine too, but here in the Phoenix area, the cheapest used 44 I can find is 4K

Whaaaa!? 4K for a Dana 44? You could get a Currie RockJock Dana 44 with that, including chromoly axle shafts and a locker... What the hell?

Reactions: ac_
Whaaaa!? 4K for a Dana 44? You could get a Currie RockJock Dana 44 with that, including chromoly axle shafts and a locker... What the hell?

yep the only place I can find them here is in a wrecking yard, and they wanted 8K for a set out of a rubi. They think since nothing rusts here it is gold.

I did find a set once for 4 grand but all of the tj stuff was cut off and I figured if I was going to have to weld on the tj stuff, I would just do a 8.8 for 250 bucks.

I have been looking for 44's, but I am assuming I will end up going with 4.11's and super 35ing my 35, and since I used ARB once I would like to try the Eaton. (had no issues with the ARB. but they are the same price now and would like to try the Eaton)

When I did my 8.8 swap I was going to go the 44 route first but at the time I couldn't find one for sub 2k all done so I had the 8.8 swapped in for about a thousand bucks if I had to split it out so obviously that's why I went the 8.8 route. I didn't really know about the super 35 kits though at the time and maybe that would have changed my mind, I dunno though

Sounds like you got off cheaper than even a super 35. That is why I would consider it too, but I think in the the super 35 and the 8.8 will be about the same price, but the 8.8 wouldn't have a locker when I was done.

Sounds like you got off cheaper than even a super 35. That is why I would consider it too, but I think in the the super 35 and the 8.8 will be about the same price, but the 8.8 wouldn't have a locker when I was done.
Yep you are right about getting off cheaper and I didn't have the dough to put in a locker at the same time that I was doing the 8.8 and other stuff so mine just has a limited slip. I've heard that some people charge an arm and a leg to do 8.8 swaps though so maybe I just know the right shop or got lucky

yep the only place I can find them here is in a wrecking yard, and they wanted 8K for a set out of a rubi. They think since nothing rusts here it is gold.

I did find a set once for 4 grand but all of the tj stuff was cut off and I figured if I was going to have to weld on the tj stuff, I would just do a 8.8 for 250 bucks.

I have been looking for 44's, but I am assuming I will end up going with 4.11's and super 35ing my 35, and since I used ARB once I would like to try the Eaton. (had no issues with the ARB. but they are the same price now and would like to try the Eaton)

Those guys are smoking something good. 4k is absolutely stupid. You could build a hell of a nice Dana 44 for that price using a RockJock 44 axle housing. Sheesh...

... I know 44 out of a TJ would be a better choice, but I have been kicking around a super 35 for mine too, but here in the Phoenix area, the cheapest used 44 I can find is 4K...
$4,000 is crazy, wow! Though it has been 17-18 years since I bought a used TJ Dana 44 for my previous TJ that came with a Dana 35, it was only $800.

Those Dana 44 are on the $4,000 anywhere, rusted or mint conditions. if happens to be a pair, not even think on a deal below the $7500. When I discover that the one on my LJ was bent, i decide to downgrade to a Dana 30 until have the time and money for a Heavy Duty Spicer HP Dana 44 or similar.

Explorer, just like all the above said. 31 spline is what you want, not 28. If you are lucky, you might find one in the gearing you want - that would save you some $$. You can also find one with limited slip installed too - while not nearly as good as a true locker, it can save you money if that's tight.

I ended up getting a 8.8 from an Explorer and put a TruTrac in it. I opted to do that over a Super35 primarily because I had drums and 3.07 gears in mine, and the 8.8 had disc. And I also wanted a 2nd physical axle, because I have a 2nd frame/body. (Which is also why I got a front HP30 to replace my Dana 30).

I would have preferred a Dana 44, but it was extremely difficult finding one in my area, within a certain period of time...in my budget.
Note: In the end, it *may* have been cheaper for me to buy one from ECGS, as the welding/install ended up going quite a bit over the expected budget.

Other than me not currently having a parking brake (due to not able to obtain a certain piece that broke on my Jeep when disconnecting), I've had no issues/complaints with the 8.8....(except for the final cost being significantly higher than expected). But I may have gone Dana 44 if I were able to go back in time. Less hassle and better ground clearance.

If you're happy with your gearing, you may want to take a serious look at the Super35.

Reactions: Dawghouse
I was going to install the Super 35 but then @Jerry Bransford brought it to our attention about the issues with the E locker. Thank you for that! I check with some of my friends at our local 4WP and they have had several come in new in the box with issues. So I decided to return my parts and regroup. I have a G2 rear 44 core axle housing I took in on trade. Its in great condition. But when I looked into what it was going to cost me to set it up. Brakes, lines, locker, ring and pinion, axles, etc. I decided to nix that idea. Plus I couldn't find a donor 44 to use either. So I decided to build my 8.8 I got for $100.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford