Montana From Fall Creek, Oregon to Absarokee, Montana via dirt roads in late July

macleanflood

I break sh!t
Supporting Member
Wife's good friend is getting married in eastern Montana in late July...we've decided the Jeep and dirt roads are the best way there.

These routes get me across Oregon...

http://www.oohva.org/
Planning on driving the Magruder Road across Idaho...

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nezperceclearwater/recarea/?recid=16482

Any suggestions for a route across Montana?

How many days do you think it will take?

Thoughts?

Jeep is on 33s...97...4.0...AX-15...4.88s...4" lift...SYE.

Think I want real sliders before we go. Maybe an engine skid plate. Blew all my play money on my regear...

Thanks!
Mac

Have you never been to Montana before?, many miles between here and there. Stick to the main roads with some excursions to entertain you along the way.

I wouldn’t consider Absarokee eastern. Also, if you’re set on trying to tackle the Beartooth wilderness write a will. People go there to die. The weather in that area is unpredictable, go prepared. I used to bike camp in the Gallatins & Bridger Mountains many moons ago, lots of big bears and other furry things.

My idea of fun is backpacking or leading mules... usually I trail run and scout out front...into the wilderness clearing back country trails with crosscut saws, axes and repairing tread work.

My wife and I moved to Oregon 8 years ago...we bought 17 acres...hacked a road into the middle and plunked down our pickup camper and lived without a well or electrical service for a year while we cleared land and built a house.

I'd love to find some bears...they are delicious...and I know enough about bear boxes and hanging food from trees.

Thanks!
Mac

Reactions: Kid Mechanic
Here are a couple roads that take you to historical/geographical significance.

First part; Start on the 28 highway in Idaho, basically Tendoy and go to the Sacajawea Memorial picnic area. It’s on the border of Montana and Idaho at the Lemhi Pass. Lewis & Clark had thought this was the headwaters of the Missouri River. They were close. Then head down to Clark Canyon reservoir on the I-15.
Second part: Head south on the I-15 to Monida. Head west to the Red Rocks Lakes, there is a campground at Upper Red Rock Lake. Keep heading west to Hell Roaring Canyon. This would be an incredible hike (I haven’t done it) very remote and could be dangerous if not prepared. This when hiked to the top is the real headwaters of the Missouri River. Continue west to Henry’s Lake/HWY 87.

Highway 87 north will get you to Norris and the Bear Trap hot springs, a little more family friendly than it used to be, but still worth the soak. You’ll be in fly fishing capital of the World in this area of Montana. Ennis has the Madison River. The Gallatin River is nearby after going through West Yellowstone. You have the best way to get to Absarokee going down the Bear Tooth Highway after passing thru Yellowstone. The Bear Tooth is fantastic and not to be missed if you’re in the area.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Last edited: