Fuel Pressure/Hard Starting

Yellowlab

Supporting Member
Hello fellow TJ owners. I'm having an issue and was wondering if some of you could give me some direction. Back at the end of May my fuel pump went out on my '02 Sahara. I put a new Bosch pump and a new regulator in my pump assembly. The Jeep has been running fine up until the middle of last week. I started having a slight hard starting issue, nothing major, but definitely taking a second or two more to fire off. By the weekend it had gotten to the point that it was taking 4-5 seconds to fire off every time I started it. Cycling the key on and off was no help. Yesterday it took two tries to get it to fire off, and when it did it had a dead miss in the engine that cleared up after about 10-15 seconds. Once the engine is running it seems to run fine. So this afternoon after work I hooked up my pressure gauge to the fuel rail and here's what I got:

Zero pressure when I hooked up the gauge
A temporary reading of 8 psi after cycling the key 4 times, then immediately back to zero after turning the key off
51 psi upon starting, then a drop to 28 psi after about 15 seconds, then back up to 45 psi and holding after another 45-60 seconds
Each time I shut the engine off the rail pressure immediately drops to zero

The only things I can figure are a bad pump or leaking injector(s), but I would assume I would be seeing some other issues if I had bad injectors. Also, I have no codes which leads me back to the pump. Should I pull the rail and see if any injectors are leaking? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
That sounds more like a bad fuel pressure regulator which is the usual cause of fast losses of fuel pressure.

The fuel pump is the usual cause of fuel pressure losses that happen longer periods of time like overnight or at least several hours.