Fuel Pump or leaking fuel injectors?

CPelay

Hi, about a month ago my 97 TJ would not start all of a sudden, no prior symptoms. My mechanic found the fuel pump was bad and replaced it (Delphi).

After fuel pump replacement Jeep runs fine but has developed a weird starting issue: starts right away on the first crank in the morning but after that takes 2-3 cranks to start. Will also start fine if I cycle the key several times. Otherwise the engine is running smoothly and no other issues.

My feeling is the check valve in new fuel pump is bad. I had somewhat similar issue a few years ago when I first got the Jeep and hard start went away with new pump.

My mechanic is not sure and understandably reluctant to drop the tank again. He wants me to take to dealer for diagnostic and will replace pump if that's the dealer's determination.

Mechanic thinks it could be leaky fuel injectors but says he doesn't have the right equipment to test injectors for leaks.

This is his reasoning for leaky injectors causing hard start:

"Not bad injectors leaking injectors possibly. When the car is off the check valve keeps pressure on the system so when you turn the key it starts right up. If the injectors are leaking the pressure will drop causing a prolong start."

He also says "I dont have set up for that on this manufacturer. Plus like I texted earlier somthinng weird is going on at the rail testing port. It reads no pressure while the car is running and no pressure when the car is off. Tested it with 2 different guagues."

I'm going to bite the bullet and take in to dealer for diagnostic. Mechanic unfortunately is friend of family so don't want to keep pressing him.

Sorry for the length of the post, but thought it would be helpful if I gave as much info upfront.

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Last edited:
did you ever figure this problem out? having pretty much the same issue and im unsure about whether or not its a leaky injector or a check valve
Hi, dealer said the (new) fuel pump was bad, so my mechanic ended up replacing it again with a Bosch.

So far no issues (crossing fingers) , but that's the 3rd fuel pump in 5 years and unfortunately due to the design you have to drop the tank to get at the fuel pump, filter, and check valve which are all one unit.

Hope you figure your issue out. Good luck!

They make a "trap door" type of thing you put in the back of the tub. Open the hatch and you are looking at the fuel pump. Far from an ideal solution, but.......

Reactions: CPelay