Gauges don't work

Disturbing to see the metal bracing with that much rust....

Yeah that’s pretty gnarly. You also have to pay attention to where the bracing bolts to the tub and make sure those contact points are clean as well.

Yeah that’s pretty gnarly. You also have to pay attention to where the bracing bolts to the tub and make sure those contact points are clean as well.

I agree.... He should do further cleaning of the contact points.
Just noticed the owner lives in Missouri which gets snow and much more rain that what we get here in SoCal.

Yeah I know :( the bad thing is the Jeep is in damn good shape to have some much rust on that dash assembly bracket. So disregard that last message I think it was acting funny because of the ground by the speaker. The illumination will work on the dash and the HVAC controls with the illumination wire to the 12v switch wire when the key is on and will shut off with the key switch but when it’s not 12volted none work. And the light switch doesn’t turn them on or off only all other lights. And when the illum wire is 12v the light switch won’t adjust. It’s a brand new light switch.

I agree.... He should do further cleaning of the contact points.
Just noticed the owner lives in Missouri which gets snow and much more rain that what we get here in SoCal.
Are the contract points mostly just the 3 side bolts and the 4 nuts by the windshield? I’ve been trying to clean off with a wire brush everything I can see without tearing the plastic off the metal.

If you grab your FSM from the TJ Resources sub forum you can see drawings that show where all the ground points are. Section 8W

Reactions: Daryl
With these grounding problems.... you might consider running wire from a KNOWN GOOD ground to the brace instead of chasing where all the bad grounding points are on the brace....

I cleaned up the contact points and rebolted it up. Using a test light I have a ground at every screw hole that touched metal so that’s a good sign. And I don’t believe any of my lights are led. I have ground at the head light switch. I don’t understand why I have to plug the illumination wire at the stereo 12v in for the cluster and HVAC to light up. I’m not very good at reading or understanding wire diagrams. Some but not much. Something going on between and lights

I cleaned up the contact points and rebolted it up. Using a test light I have a ground at every screw hole that touched metal so that’s a good sign. And I don’t believe any of my lights are led. I have ground at the head light switch. I don’t understand why I have to plug the illumination wire at the stereo 12v in for the cluster and HVAC to light up. I’m not very good at reading or understanding wire diagrams. Some but not much. Something going on between and lights

Sorry about the response concerning LEDs.... I confused your TJ with another member that I was trying to assist.
Sounds like the cluster and HVAC are finding a ground thru the radio wiring...
The previous owner may have done some creative wiring...

Clean the ground wire at bottom center of dash.
62E65B4D-7277-4CA5-9957-A1B88C27C3F9.jpeg

Clean the ground wire at bottom center of dash.
View attachment 149454
I see this one is from a 03 4.0 auto and the wiring is completely different between years. I looked and I do not have that ground strap on mine. However I did stumble upon checking wires and grounds and such a wire that is already grounded before touching anything? Does anyone know if this wire should already be grounded? Or could this be part of my problem? The other ground wire there doesn’t light up on test light. And when the ignition is on it does a beeping and low flashing of the turn signals and high beam but when I touch it to the ground it stops beeping and everything cluster goes back to its start up.

FEE0DBB3-C953-4D9F-9C45-53CFE35BDAD2.jpeg

73B6A53A-2BA6-480F-9702-53273487837D.jpeg

They are the ground wires for the instrument cluster; the same as on my 01.
Those should be connected below the left front speaker.
Yes that’s where they were. My question is though, is the black w yellow strip wire suppose to be grounded even though it’s not on a ground right now. As you can see from the photo my test light is on positive lead and it’s lighting up not screwed to the dash frame.

Everyone note: This Jeep was the very first of the tjs. Someone said for like the first 6 months production the wiring was different then the rest. Wish I had a manual for this early of diagrams.

Remove your instrument cluster and radio. Clean the ground wire behind it. Follow that wire and clean it’s contact also. See pictures.
EA0D85C3-E40C-43F7-8692-77BC34E05C96.png
B8341D83-8958-4542-B41B-32D6735A241C.png