Gear Pattern Opinion

Hammer_c

Supporting Member
Looking for some help with this pattern on a Sterling 10.25 with 4.88s. It’s a 5 cut gear set. Looks to be deep and looking for suggestions as I’ve been chasing my tail trying to get the pattern dialed in.

Backlash is at .012 per the factory manual but Yukon recommends .006-.010. So not entirely sure what to go off of.

IMG_3396.jpeg

IMG_3394.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_3399.jpeg

Your pattern leaves questions but that is not that deep. Are these used gears? I would not worry about backlash yet and on the bigger axles I would not try getting them tight.

Yes, slightly used gears with about 2,000 miles on them. Started getting a humming above 60 mph so immediately pulled it apart to see what was going on. Slapped some paint on it and this is what I got.

With the gears being used do you think the pattern is already set?

IMG_3352.jpeg

IMG_3353.jpeg

Last edited:
Well you could try to adjust but there is a good chance that they may already have taken a set and you will not be able to dial them in.

Reactions: hosejockey61
I think you're right, the pattern is set. I tried just about every adjustment to get a good pattern and nothing seemed to work.The first time I installed the gears I had the BL at .007 which may have been too tight. I opened up the BL to .012 , went for a drive and it's now making even more noise. Time to install a new set of gears! :(

• Sad
Reactions: JMT
I think you're right, the pattern is set. I tried just about every adjustment to get a good pattern and nothing seemed to work.The first time I installed the gears I had the BL at .007 which may have been too tight. I opened up the BL to .012 , went for a drive and it's now making even more noise. Time to install a new set of gears! :(

Yeah I kinda figured that. Next gear set make sure to keep your backlash closer to .010 to let them bigger gears have some room to grow. Also make sure to use 85-140 gear oil instead of the 75-140.

Thanks for the help. I’m back on the road and trying to get it broke in before Moab in April.

I went with Revolution Gear for the first time and they set up real nice. Ive never had a ring gear slip over a locker without using heat and freezing the locker, that was a nice change!

Reactions: JMT