Gear shift light for 2002 Wrangler?

LSU Jeeper

A few months ago, I noticed that the gear indicator on the floor console on my 2002 Wrangler Sport doesn't light. I know I've had her for 16 years but I cant recall if it ever lit up. I feel like a blind fool. Can anybody tell me if the gear indicator is supposed to light up or not?

There's a light that comes on with the headlights. Probably need a new bulb, or possibly a loose connection.

There's a light that comes on with the headlights. Probably need a new bulb, or possibly a loose connection.

X2. Mine isn’t working anymore either, it’s just the bulb that needs to be replaced on mine.

The bulb is a 658 incandescent or a 194 LED.

You can get to it by gently prying up the shifter cover. There is a cable connected to the shifter indicator. Carefully remove the cable from the cover and you’ll find the light.

Reactions: Chris
Most likely the bulb as everyone said above. Whether you go LED or normal Bob it’s a three minute change out. Like they said above just gently pry up on the edges of the trim piece around the gear selector plate. I went LED because mine was out too when I got my jeep.

Heed the warnings about “gentle” prying. If it’s original the plastic plate and the components underneath are very brittle and replacements for that aren’t cheap!