Gearing up for some wrenching

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
ordered some kroil and found some liquid wrench I ordered last year hiding in a random bag in he spare room. Sort of like finding a 20 in a old jacket pocket. I wonder which will produce better results?. :nusenuse:
A68F1A70-B3DD-4DB3-9DAF-750AAE337CDC.jpeg

Reactions: Chris and ac_
I've been gearing up to install a 3" BDS lift into my 03 TJ as well. I've been hitting the suspension bolts with all different kinds of rust penetrants like Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, and WD-40. Just started using Kroil as I noticed it was highly suggested on this forum. Hoping for the best, especially with the rear upper shock bolts.

Reactions: Steven_Olson
I'm hoping to start the lift kit install in a couple of weeks. My wife has been complaining that the garage stinks from all the penetrating sprays I've used. I plan on taking photos throughout the install, and posting them up as well as my experience with the install. Never done one before.

Reactions: ac_ and Kathy
I'm hoping to start the lift kit install in a couple of weeks. My wife has been complaining that the garage stinks from all the penetrating sprays I've used. I plan on taking photos throughout the install, and posting them up as well as my experience with the install. Never done one before.
She would hate me; I use it as a cologne.

You can take a small hammer a lightly tap on the bolts that you have put the penetrating oils on. The vibration will help in getting the fluids down into the threads

Reactions: Kathy
Even with Kroil, some bolts still break... Be prepared for it, especially those rear shock bolts.
Exactly. And don't spray the Kroil, Liquid Wrench, etc. 10 minutes before you start and expect good results. Spraying several times starting a couple days ahead of time to give it time to work is highly recommended.

Exactly. And don't spray the Kroil, Liquid Wrench, etc. 10 minutes before you start and expect good results. Spraying several times starting a couple days ahead of time to give it time to work is highly recommended.

Yes, this. Giving the penetrant time to work is key. Something else that an old toolmaker taught me... If you are going to use a torch to heat a bolt, have a crayon handy. When it's warm, press the crayon to the threads. The wax will wick into the threads, and just might get the fastener moving again.

Reactions: Steven_Olson