Generac generator propane to fuel conversion

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I recently installed a Generac 7228 18kw generator for our home here in Wyoming. We've got a 1000 gallon propane tank on the property so that's what it runs off of for now.

We've also got a 1000 gallon fuel tank on the property as well. I've heard others say that you can get a conversion kit to convert the generator to run off gasoline. Can't seem to find much (if anything) about what parts I'd need on a Google search so I thought I'd ask here just to see if anyone knows.

I suspect no one here is going to have the answer so I opened up a ticket with Generac to see what they say. I suspect they'll take a few days to respond though so I figured why not ask here just in case someone has knowledge of this.

Thanks in advance!

Is this you only source of power or is it back up? LP has a longer shelf life than gasoline.

I'm familiar with Kohler generator products. My first experience was a gasoline powered generator. The engine was a 4 cylinder Ford product, I think. It was a 1960 or 70's vintage. We upgraded to a liquid cooled GM powered generator powered by propane.

Our current generator (11KW) uses a twin cylinder air cooled engine fueled by propane. Conversion from propane to natural gas is relatively easy with a kit from Kohler.

I have a 3.5KW Champion generator that was sold with dual fuel capability. I would contact your nearest Generac dealer to see if a conversion kit is available.

Reactions: Ephry73
I think @freedom_in_4low's brother sells Generac generators. Maybe he could get you an answer through that connection? Small engine conversions from LP to NG or gas are usually just a jetting change in the carb and a change in fuel fittings, I think.

We've also got a 1000 gallon fuel tank on the property as well.

I suspect that's for diesel or "fuel oil". I can't imagine trying to store that much gasoline and keeping it cycled out.

As for the generator, the difference is going to be the carb, assuming this isn't an EFI unit. You'll likely find you just need a dual-fuel carb to swap on.

I recently installed a Generac 7228 18kw generator for our home here in Wyoming. We've got a 1000 gallon propane tank on the property so that's what it runs off of for now.

We've also got a 1000 gallon fuel tank on the property as well. I've heard others say that you can get a conversion kit to convert the generator to run off gasoline. Can't seem to find much (if anything) about what parts I'd need on a Google search so I thought I'd ask here just to see if anyone knows.

I suspect no one here is going to have the answer so I opened up a ticket with Generac to see what they say. I suspect they'll take a few days to respond though so I figured why not ask here just in case someone has knowledge of this.

Thanks in advance!

I reached out to my brother to see if he knows anything. I agree with @BlueC though, I don't think I'd want 1000gal of gasoline sitting around and I don't know how I'd use it fast enough to not have it go bad. I have a dual fuel (gasoline/propane) generator but it's not generac, and I wish it was diesel.

I think @freedom_in_4low's brother sells Generac generators. Maybe he could get you an answer through that connection? Small engine conversions from LP to NG or gas are usually just a jetting change in the carb and a change in fuel fittings, I think.

Good memory! His business is centered on renewable power which includes battery backups and inverters, which Generac sells so he does sell Generac. He dabbled in generators one year but they didn't sell as fast as he thought and he ended up having to unload them to a local wholesaler for less than his cost. I saw this late last night and decided to ask him about it this morning.

Reactions: BlueC and reddvltj
I don't think I'd want 1000gal of gasoline sitting around and I don't know how I'd use it fast enough to not have it go bad.
I interpreted Chris' message that he would like the ability to switch to gas if the propane runs out and he can't get a propane truck to deliver in time. Belts and suspenders...

Good memory! His business is centered on renewable power which includes battery backups and inverters, which Generac sells so he does sell Generac. He dabbled in generators one year but they didn't sell as fast as he thought and he ended up having to unload them to a local wholesaler for less than his cost. I saw this late last night and decided to ask him about it this morning.
I remember that for selfish reasons. You posted he was selling them as excess inventory on here last spring (I think), and I wanted one, but it would have cut into the LJ build project's budget. I made mental note to contact you in the future to see if there were any deals. Now I know that there won't be any deals, and I'm kicking myself for not buying one. :)

My .02 I would leave it as lgp unless it is getting harder to find in your area. It lasts longer and the equipment tends to run cooler and it’s easier on the machine as well. As other have mentioned, the second tank could be for heating fuel? Kerosene or the like. Find out to see what you have.

In the Caribbean we used to run kerosene and diesel generators to keep the house going from all of the blackouts. We ended up having a second unit installed that ran off the lgp as a backup to the diesel unit.

Reactions: Chris

Thanks in advance!

I bought a kit from https://www.uscarburetion.com/ to convert my generator from gas to NG (also could do LPG) and it works great for me. I did not get a chance to check their site about generac. It was not expensive and did it myself.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I interpreted Chris' message that he would like the ability to switch to gas if the propane runs out and he can't get a propane truck to deliver in time. Belts and suspenders...

you're probably right. I fixated on 1000 gallons of gasoline and immediately went to that It's Always Sunny episode when they were trying to buy and resell gas.

I remember that for selfish reasons. You posted he was selling them as excess inventory on here last spring (I think), and I wanted one, but it would have cut into the LJ build project's budget. I made mental note to contact you in the future to see if there were any deals. Now I know that there won't be any deals, and I'm kicking myself for not buying one. :)

Haha no worries. If you need a battery or inverter he's your guy though. My company is actually packaging batteries and inverters with some CO2 refrigeration equipment that requires power backup and he just gave us a quote beating our current supplier by 30%.

When I posted that generator deal I ended up getting 10 generators sold to coworkers, and I've heard from several later on that they missed out on that deal because our IT department likes to send out fake malware/phishing/social engineering attempts to keep people on their toes, and they thought the email was one of those. :ROFLMAO:

@Chris he said he didn't know of anything offhand but he'd look into it for me.

Reactions: red02tj and Chris
Okay, so Generac got back to me and told me that this particular model doesn't allow for a propane to gasoline conversion. Not the end of the world I suppose, I just thought it would be cool to have the kit just in case.

I'll probably just install a second 1000 lb propane tank. Doesn't hurt to have two!

Okay, so Generac got back to me and told me that this particular model doesn't allow for a propane to gasoline conversion. Not the end of the world I suppose, I just thought it would be cool to have the kit just in case.

I'll probably just install a second 1000 lb propane tank. Doesn't hurt to have two!

sell it, get a diesel, and fill that 1000gal tank with farm diesel.

I've never been a big fan of a propane backup generator when propane is also your main energy source for cooking and/or heat, because when it came down to it I'd have to balance both to make it last and I'm not gonna need another thing to stress about in that situation. Just seems better to diversify. And it seems like in a SHFT situation it might be easier to get my hands on diesel than it would be LPG.

sell it, get a diesel, and fill that 1000gal tank with farm diesel.

I've never been a big fan of a propane backup generator when propane is also your main energy source for cooking and/or heat, because when it came down to it I'd have to balance both to make it last and I'm not gonna need another thing to stress about in that situation. Just seems better to diversify. And it seems like in a SHFT situation it might be easier to get my hands on diesel than it would be LPG.

The good news is that LPG is easy to come by around here. Everyone and their mother has a 500 lb or 1000 lb propane tank on their property. Since it's rural living there is no natural gas hookups for homes (outside of the city). Currently I have one 1000 lb LPG tank on my property. At the rate we use it it should last roughly one year.

I do need a 1000 gallon tank for farm diesel though. That's on my list.

The good news is that LPG is easy to come by around here. Everyone and their mother has a 500 lb or 1000 lb propane tank on their property. Since it's rural living there is no natural gas hookups for homes (outside of the city). Currently I have one 1000 lb LPG tank on my property. At the rate we use it it should last roughly one year.

I do need a 1000 gallon tank for farm diesel though. That's on my list.

is propane your main heating source or do you plan to burn wood? Have you been there for a winter to know what you'll burn keeping the house warm?

We burn about 27 gallons a month just to run the LPG oven/stove and the tankless water heater with recirc, so 1000 gal would last us about 3 years. We're limited by space and topography and the fact that our tanks have to be buried, which would be a lot more expensive to bury a 1000 gal. So we have a 250 and it gets checked once a month and filled if it's below 40%. Heat is heat pump with electric backup, but it hasn't gotten cold enough to need the backup yet because if it's anywhere near that, I've got the fireplace going. I've got the gas generator for now but when I put in a shop I'm gonna prep for a diesel and a big tank for it.

is propane your main heating source or do you plan to burn wood? Have you been there for a winter to know what you'll burn keeping the house warm?

We burn about 27 gallons a month just to run the LPG oven/stove and the tankless water heater with recirc, so 1000 gal would last us about 3 years. We're limited by space and topography and the fact that our tanks have to be buried, which would be a lot more expensive to bury a 1000 gal. So we have a 250 and it gets checked once a month and filled if it's below 40%. Heat is heat pump with electric backup, but it hasn't gotten cold enough to need the backup yet because if it's anywhere near that, I've got the fireplace going. I've got the gas generator for now but when I put in a shop I'm gonna prep for a diesel and a big tank for it.

Propane is the main heating source. We've talked to plenty of neighbors with the same size houses and they all tell us that 1000 lbs of propane lasts give or take 1 year, sometimes a little less if it's a harsh winter.

Fortunately we don't have the bury the tanks here. Mine just sits above ground pretty close to the house. I've also got a solar setup as well that is enough to run the freezers, well pump, and several other things. Given that where we are in Wyoming sees a lot of sun, solar is fairly effective here. Not as much as when we were in Arizona of course, but enough for emergencies.

We also have a wood stove in the main area of the house and I've got a ton of firewood. We'll be using that a lot in the winter as well. There's a pellet stove in the basement but that runs on LPG of course.

I think given the low cost of LPG out here my best bet may just be to install some more propane tanks.

We have 3# 1000 gal propane tanks that we own on the farm. Enough that we only need to fill up on the “summer fill” price. Which is usually the best deal for smaller (less than a transport load) deliveries.

What kind of price are they quoting?
We’re $1.40 gal. Still high compared to transport loads.

We’re $1.40 gal. Still high compared to transport loads.
Wow, I am green with envy. I re-filled our 500 gallon tank in February at $3.01/gal. We don't see a seasonal price adjustment down here. The cheapest fill ever for us was $1.75/gal in December 2015. We've been in the $3/gal neighborhood for the last three years. :mad: