Glazed rotor or not?

Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
I've felt some fade in my braking, so I was thinking in getting some BMB pads with rotors, but yesterday when I was at the shop the guy told me that I still have more than half of my current pads, but I don't thing this shiny surface is normal in the rotors (I've zero experience in brakes), so... would this be considered normal? or that may be the reason of my fading?
20240620_173256.jpg
20240620_173244.jpg
20240620_173302.jpg

Do another "brake" in...get it up to 20-30 mph and hit those brakes hard. Do it a couple of times to get it hot, let it cool down for five, ten minutes and do it again.

@mrblaine was talking about limousine stops killing brake performance.

-Mac

• Wow
Reactions: AndyG and Don Bulee
Seems shiny from the photo… do you have a course sanding block/paper. I have had good look using a orbital palm sander too and just brake the glaze.. see how that works.

If you were thinking about getting pads and rotors, why not go ahead and get the rotors?
IIRC, they're Centric.
Wouldn't hurt to do a flush and/or bleed.

Last edited:
Agree with others, if you’re wanting them, I’d make the change.

If $ is tight, which I get, then run some sandpaper over the rotors and brake clean it, then run the break in process again.

I’ve done the rotors, don’t recall running sandpaper over the pads on a Jeep or car, we always replaced pads, felt like if they are compromised you’re screwed, but that may be wrong.

Strangely enough, on motorcycles I have gone back and hit the pad faces. I’m talking in circles and unhelpful.

Now I’m wondering if break in is screwed up on a TJ pad, or if they glaze from riding them slowly, if you can recover the pad.

well.... I'm just about to make a 600 miles trip which will include a lot of up and downhills.... so I decided that to die because I was not able to stop my jeep was not a good idea... I just got the rotors that Mr. Blaine suggests (48 bucks on amazon) and the pads from his webpage...

well.... I'm just about to make a 600 miles trip which will include a lot of up and downhills.... so I decided that to die because I was not able to stop my jeep was not a good idea... I just got the rotors that Mr. Blaine suggests (48 bucks on amazon) and the pads from his webpage...

Can you share the link for the amazon rotors.
Thank you.