Grandfathers 72 Beetle

1o1proof

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My grandfather bought this new and drove the wheels off it. He passed in 99 and the car has made its way around the family, and it finally found the right owner. My uncle (his youngest son) ended up with it and restored it, he brought it down for us to see. After this he is sending it to his daughter, who plans on driving it.

Just wanted to share.
20210411_110106.jpg
20210411_110119.jpg

My grandfather bought this new and drove the wheels off it. He passed in 99 and the car has made its way around the family, and it finally found the right owner. My uncle (his youngest son) ended up with it and restored it, he brought it down for us to see. After this he is sending it to his daughter, who plans on driving it.

Just wanted to share.
View attachment 244075View attachment 244117
Those wide whites and the red piping on the white seats adds a nice vintage/custom vibe to it. Sweet ride! (y)

Reactions: 1o1proof
Way cool!
Yea Zorba, I had a yellow 72 and my stock seats came up higher also?
I always carried a small toolbox in mine because I was always breaking down for some other reason or not. lol

Looks great. Brings back fond memories.

Around 1977, I had to drive a Beetle of similar vintage from Annapolis, MD to central PA. The points were sticking and it would only run wide open. We made it Williamsport, PA, when it stalled at a traffic light and wouldn't start. When we finally got it home, it only took a quick clean up of the points with a file to fix, but I knew even less about cars then than I do now.

You are correct, it originally had high back seats. He said he liked the look of the shorter seat and this is what he came up with.

He must have also liked the look of the metal vent window latches, the thin metal horn ring and the all metal dashboard with the thin metal decorative strip all the way across.

Smaller tail lights and front turn signals along with the domed hubcaps on wide five wheels would have been a nice touch but I'm not complaining about what I do see.