Grinding issues when preparing to tow

Suzie

I have a 2023 Jeep Wrangler. When preparing to tow and following the directions outlined in the manual after transmission and transfer case are all in N directions say to have engine on and put transmission first in R and then into D to check for movement. When I shift into D there is a grinding noise. If I turn the engine off and then back on it stops. Any ideas?

well your in a forum full of 1997-2006 jeep people that can tell you everything thing you’d want to know about tj jeeps. Not so much jk jeeps which is what you have.
But……my guess is you’re not getting the transfer case into neutral. Does it have electronic fwd or is it a manual switch?

Mam be careful and get that transfer case in neutral or you will destroy that rig-

If it it is grinding that means the non synchronized transfer case is not in neutral-

First get the vehicle back in 2 wheel drive -

- while driving shift to 4 wheel high and drive 100 feet or so to get it engaged and then get in position to tow -

Now put the transfer case in neutral and make sure it won’t move either direction- if all is good shift the transmission to neutral and you are ready.

Be sure both are in neutral or cancel the trip or rent a car when you get there- towing wrong is disastrous.