Hard Start Issue

Sort of an update:
I did some maintenance, plugs and old battery. It turns over faster, so it does start easier. But cold start is still hard. I put fuel pressure gauge on it and it jumps to 45 when you turn the switch and 49 first time engine turns over. Can sit an hour and pressure holds above 40, 2 hours above 30, next morning above 20. Replaced Cam Position Sensor and still hard start. But we went on a trip and it cranked right up after sitting an hour and again after sitting 3 hours, which is much better than it was doing. Cycling switch doesn’t seem to change this. Runs slick once started and warm start seems to be fine now, it wasn’t before

I know this thread is several months old, but I was wondering if you ever improved the situation or if you found a ‘smoking gun’ on what was happening. I have a 97 2.5L that is now doing exactly what you describe. Fuel pressure checks fine on start up (identical to what you describe), plugs are only a year old, it cranks fine so I don’t think its the battery, no CEL, and once started it runs fine. But getting it to start is now difficult, and sometimes won’t start at all. And even after it’s warmed up it still does the same thing. I’ve owned it a couple years now and it has always fired right up. Not sure what changed all of a sudden. Curious what happened with your situation.

Last edited:
I know this thread is several months old, but I was wondering if you ever improved the situation or if you found a ‘smoking gun’ on what was happening. I have a 97 2.5L that is now doing exactly what you describe. Fuel pressure checks fine on start up (identical to what you describe), plugs are only a year old, it cranks fine so I don’t think its the battery, no CEL, and once started it runs fine. But getting it to start is now difficult, and sometimes won’t start at all. And even after it’s warmed up it still does the same thing. I’ve owned it a couple years now and it has always fired right up. Not sure what changed all of a sudden. Curious what happened with your situation.
I actually replied once but must have made an error. Good thing, I just solved issue today. I had a few issues at the same time, bad alternator killed a good battery. I replaced battery cables, coil pack, cps, thought I had it, and then it started back. I was also having radio issues, turn signal issues, wiper issues. Common thing was a lot of issues with things that were switch powered. One day when radio quit I tried my wipers, didn’t work. My ignition switch was bad. I could play with it and everything would start back working. Replaced it today and it cranks right away, better than ever.

Thanks for the reply. This is really helpful because I just noticed a few days ago that sometimes when turning the key on, when it gets to the accessories position the gauges don’t come on, and if you continue turning the key it will crank but not start. If the gauges do come on, it seems to fire up right away. So I had started wondering if it could be related to the ignition switch. From your situation, it sounds like this is definitely a possibility. I will check this out next. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: PalmettoStateBob