Hardtop repair / painting

sampson20

Hi, I recently acquired a hardtop for my LJ and am planning to paint it with SEM black trim paint. I searched through the forum on this topic and got some great prep advice. I'm not sure what sort of trauma this top experienced but there are several spots that are worn down through the original paint. I'm wondering how I should address these damaged areas before painting. Primer just on the damaged spots? Primer the whole top before painting? Any advice or past experiences appreciated. Thanks

20230718_170416.jpg

20230718_170318.jpg

20230718_170406.jpg

I cant find any details on that paint saying it is designed for exterior use.

First hand experience painting my F150 camper top with Krylon Fusion (acrylic high flex & adhesion rating) Its only used in winters and stored in my garage the other 7 months
Within 2 years looked like ass

I highly suggest Rustoleum oil based paint and an HVLP sprayer. I just did my Jeep hard top with it

Primer isnt necessary, however the fact its peeling means your next paint job will only be as good as the undercoat adhesion you are putting it over

Sand all compromised areas

Last edited:
For what it's worth I've use Rust-o -lium Camo spray paint over a prepped hardtop in khaki. Since 2012 no issues other than minor fading .

Path of least resistance: the top already comes with a speckled surface. Take some 800 grit to those stripped areas then use a spray on bedliner type spray paint. My go to is the Rustoleum bedliner in black. You can't mess this paint up. Give it two coats and call it a day. You'll be happy with the finish. I've used that on all my bumpers and sliders and it leaves about the same finish as the 800 grit sandpaper in a semi-gloss shine.

^ Ive tried both the regular and Pro-Grade Rustoleum bedliner paint. They spray ALOT of paint put of those nozzles so ya gotta move it faster then normal

Pretty good stuff tho, amd Im stickin with the Pro-Grade only goin forward. Used it on my hardtop new hinges also