Have you ever mounted a camper on a goose neck trailer?

I haven't, but it has been done.
Gooseneck trailer.jpg

Reactions: ac_
Buddy of mine did it. His trailer started off as a 24ft deck but he had to extend it to 26 or 28ft (can't remember) so he could get the jeep far enough back to get the tongue weight reasonable. He found he could barely tow the trailer around without the jeep and couldn't take it for any long trips at all without the jeep for ballast.

He ended up selling the rig and getting an aluminum trailer for the jeep and plans to get a lighter camper for the truck.

The trailer was a tandem axle low deck gooseneck

The camper was an old heavy long bed unit with a full kitchen and bathroom. He thought it weighed north of 4k lbs.

It was a nice camping setup, but he also suspects it contributed heavily to the early demise of his transmission.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Buddy of mine did it. His trailer started off as a 24ft deck but he had to extend it to 26 or 28ft (can't remember) so he could get the jeep far enough back to get the tongue weight reasonable. He found he could barely tow the trailer around without the jeep and couldn't take it for any long trips at all without the jeep for ballast.

He ended up selling the rig and getting an aluminum trailer for the jeep and plans to get a lighter camper for the truck.

The trailer was a tandem axle low deck gooseneck

The camper was an old heavy long bed unit with a full kitchen and bathroom. He thought it weighed north of 4k lbs.

It was a nice camping setup, but he also suspects it contributed heavily to the early demise of his transmission.

thanks for the info.i have long toy hauler and agree getting the weight distribution is important. have never built a project like this and appreciate all input. 4 wheelin is new to me and looking to build something to haul the jeep and not spend every night in a motel.

thanks for the info.i have long toy hauler and agree getting the weight distribution is important. have never built a project like this and appreciate all input. 4 wheelin is new to me and looking to build something to haul the jeep and not spend every night in a motel.
Wouldn't it be easier to just put a cab over camper in the back of your truck and tow the Jeep?

Reactions: JMT
Wouldn't it be easier to just put a cab over camper in the back of your truck and tow the Jeep?
That's what my buddy did. He sold the camper and big trailer. Bought an aluminum car hauler and is going to get a newer, lighter truck camper. That way if he just wants to go camping and not bring the jeep he can. If he just wants the jeep and not the camper he can take that to.

Reactions: JMT
yea probably so. i need my pick up bed alot and was looking for more room in a camper than slide in campers have, at least the affordable ones, have to offer not to mention restroom/shower facilities. i have given your suggestion lots of thought and research though. some nights it's hard to go to sleep......my minds just racin!

was
There is always the option of a small motorhome with all the comforts... Bathroom, shower, forced air heating, microwave etc. and tow your Jeep. Several of us on here do that.
was trying to avoid another "internal combustion engine" i have many that "ran fine last time i used it" i have had motor home and trailers they both have their pros and cons.....seems like all my stuff just needs a little work!