Help diagnosing whining noise

braydon

Hi all,

I know a lot of threads have been posted about whining noises and all the rest but i couldn't find one which matched mine. For the most part the noise seems to be coming from the dash and is moderately loud (enough to be annoying). Any help would be appreciated.

It started happening about 1 week ago. The weekend before the noise started I pulled apart my dash and disconnected my radio antenna to be fixed (radio is muted now). I also sprayed down my engine bay with some water after a short drive. Unsure if either of those would cause this but thought i'd include it anyways.

Here's a video of the noise, please ignore the driveline vibrations - they're getting fixed soon :p

Finally managed to catch the whine while i was parked in the garage. I'm quite certain it's coming from the idler pulley.

Not in a rush to change it out but will report back when I do.

Posted this in the comments of the youtube video but thought i'd add it here too:

Was the idler pulley, got it installed within 20 minutes and haven't heard the noise since 😁

I diagnosed the problem by putting a large screwdriver directly onto the outside of the pulley and then put my ear against the other end to listen

Reactions: Fishtaco
That was driveline vibrations after the previous owner installed a body lift + 3 inch spring lift. Fixed it with a transfer drop kit (y)

One day i'll get a sye...