Help....Jeep won't start

Michelle

Hi,

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ 2.4L 4-cyl (6-speed). In November my husband was driving home. Jeep was running fine. He stopped at a four-way stop and when he went to take off the Jeep died. He could not get it started after that... it cranks but won't turn over. We had it towed home and it has sat ever since.

The fuel pump appears to be working - we can hear it and it pumps fuel out when tested. We replaced the starter even though it tested fine (just to be sure). We replaced the battery. Eventually the codes and symptoms led us to believe the crankshaft position sensor might be bad (we replaced the camshaft position sensor in the summer). We replaced it and now we have codes that say there's a circuit A malfunction for both the CKP and camshaft sensor. We replaced the wiring harness to the CKP because my husband thought the wires looked cracked. However the wire colors don't match exactly so not sure it was wired correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We really can't afford to have it towed to a mechanic plus pay a mechanic to figure it out.

Thanks!
Michelle

What exactly are the codes that it's throwing? That would be a start.

Those are a bunch of codes that don't share much between them. I have nothing really solid to add other than I'd be looking for maybe a wiring problem, like perhaps a wiring harness in the engine compartment has rubbed up against something long enough that some of the insulation has been worn away on the wiring. That happens on the 4.0L engine around a particular stud on the engine but I've never even seen the 2.4L engine.

Shit... I would try to tackle each of those codes one at a time or do as Jerry suggested and check for a wiring problem (i.e. look for any visible wear areas in the wiring harness).

PCM would be my guess with those unrelated codes. Interesting one is the fuel pump open circuit. That sure would support Jerry and Chris theory of bad wiring.

Reactions: Chris