Help me fix this noise (video)

4x4_TikkiTokki

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and Jeeps in general. I just bought this 2003 TJ, it makes an incredibly obnoxious whistling noise (video below) coming from the engine bay.

The noise eventually went away maybe 20 minutes into the hour + drive home. Started it up the following day and the noise was back again. The noise appears at idle and various throttle positions, it seems to consistently go away when I'm accelerating but as soon as I let off the gas to change gears the noise returns until I begin accelerating again.

The noise does not increase in pitch or loudness as a result of higher or lower RPM. The noise is either there or it isn't. I've never heard anything like this, any help would be appreciated. I did search around to try and find someone with a similar problem. I found one post that had a whistling noise pretty similar to mine, a new throttle body solved their whistling problem. However the whistling wasn't identified and it seems like the owner just started throwing parts at it.

The car runs great, no check engine light or anything like that. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Whistling Noise.MOV
    19.5 MB
proably the alternater, it looks a little crusty.
Lol, it's all crusty in there...I thought about that too. It's pretty hard to pin point where the noise is coming from but if I had to give it my best shot I'd say its somewhere between the middle of the engine and firewall.

Have you heard an alternator make that noise before? I've heard pulleys going bad before and this sound is different.....

Sounds like it is predominantly on the passenger side...
Try to localize the sounds IF possible...
Might be the OPDA near the oil filter... and IF it is...
Do not let it go too long before replacing...

Sounds like it is predominantly on the passenger side...
Try to localize the sounds IF possible...
Might be the OPDA near the oil filter... and IF it is...
Do not let it go too long before replacing...
Good to know, I will take a closer listen and see if I can tell which side the noise is coming from. Sadly that won't be till after work today, thanks for the input

Not sure how the noise level is received through the video but the noise is loud...very loud

These help to isolate engine bay sounds.

31CCpxPixcL.jpg

I was able to get the noise to go away last night. I looked over the throttle body and the sensor connections / vacuum lines all checked out ok, but the 4 bolts that secure it to intake manifold were slightly loose. Tightened those 4 top bolts, and I noticed the exhaust manifold bolt closest to the firewall was able to be loosened with just my fingers so I tightened that back down. No more whining!

Realistically the throttle body was probably fine if left alone, I think the exhaust manifold bolt was my problem.

Reactions: ejay