Help with a Service Invoice

CBJason

TJ Enthusiast
So, as most of you know, my dad passed his 06 Wrangler X on to me with 30K miles on it, and said he just had a bunch of work done on it. Sure enough - in cleaning up the interior and putting my own insurance/registration paperwork in, came across the service invoice.

Included parts used for the service are the following:
Engine Oil Pan Gasket
Front Left & Right Air Shocks Assembly
Air Shock Installation Kit
RV Sealer
Reara Differential Gear Oil

Included labor was for:
Remove and install engine oil pan gasket
Remove and install front shocks assembly
Remove and install rear differential cover & sealer

AN Oil, Lube and Filter change was done as well..

Here's my questions:

1. Some of this service seems a bit premature for a vehicle that has only gone 30K miles, even if it is an '06. Does this sound right to anyone else?

2. What are air shocks and the rear differential cover and sealer?

3. Based on the equipment and service performed, my dad was charged $855.76 - this seems kind of high (he lived in upstate NY at the time). Does that total sound about right, high, or average for the work performed and I'm just being a tightwad? LOL

Tks in advance...

1. Some of this service seems a bit premature for a vehicle that has only gone 30K miles, even if it is an '06. Does this sound right to anyone else?

Actually, they don't sound premature at all. Consider the fact that even though the vehicle has 30k miles on it, it's also 10 years old. That means it's likely been sitting a whole lot for most of it's life. Some people have a misconception that a car that sits and doesn't collect any miles will be in better mechanical condition than a vehicle with higher miles. This is generally not true. When a car sits for long periods of time and doesn't see any miles, the seals will start to break down, fluids will start to break down, etc. Bottom line, running an engine can actually be good for it. If you bought a 10 year old car with low miles, I assure you that you'd want to have it looked over and inspected (mechanically I mean) just to make sure.

2. What are air shocks and the rear differential cover and sealer?

Air shocks? That's likely a typo. I think what they meant to say is that the shocks were replaced (makes sense with the low miles and the age). The differential cover and sealer was likely replaced due to a leak. As mentioned above, when a vehicle has been sitting for a long time, the seals can go bad, even with low miles. Basically this means they replaced the diff cover (for whatever reason) and put new sealer in there.

3. Based on the equipment and service performed, my dad was charged $855.76 - this seems kind of high (he lived in upstate NY at the time). Does that total sound about right, high, or average for the work performed and I'm just being a tightwad? LOL

Is that the amount just for the labor, or is it for parts as well? I would say that's a completely fair price. I mean just replacing the shocks alone would be half of that cost if you ask me.

I don't think anyone got ripped off here. Sounds like a completely normal and legitimate service.

Reactions: CBJason
Ok, thanks Chris - and actually when I borrowed the Jeep a few years ago while living in Ohio another shop made reference to the air shocks having a leak in them too...so don't think it's a typo - but wondering if someone could explain what air shocks are to me in plan Engrish :)

You can read all about air suspension here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_suspension

Cars with air suspension will usually glide over bumps. However, if you have air suspension, you should have some sort of air compressor or something in the vehicle, for the shocks.

I don't know why anyone would put air suspension on a Jeep. That seems completely counter productive.

No idea - inherited it that way.

My thought was that it seemed counter productive too based on the whole concept of air suspension (which Wikipedia validated, tks for the link). My dad told me it was added to account for the weight of the plow, but whatevs - got 'em now, and they were replaced too, so oh well. LOL

If you get a chance, take some photos of your shocks. I want to see (for my own personal satisfaction) if they are indeed air shocks.

I'm sure they are, and it makes sense that he might have added them for the snow plow that was on the front. Still... You don't see many Jeeps with air suspension!

Ok so where are the these air shocks? I see these under the flares behind the wheels and tires (sorry not as mechanically aware as I'd like to be)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And on a completely unrelated note I just noticed after lifting the hood that there appears to be a loose wire near the top here… What does this go to and why is it disconnected?
image.jpeg

Ok so where are the these air shocks? I see these under the flares behind the wheels and tires (sorry not as mechanically aware as I'd like to be)

View attachment 5360 View attachment 5361

It looks like there is an air line going into the top of one of the shocks. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like that from the photo (it's dark so it's hard to tell).

No idea - inherited it that way.

My thought was that it seemed counter productive too based on the whole concept of air suspension (which Wikipedia validated, tks for the link). My dad told me it was added to account for the weight of the plow, but whatevs - got 'em now, and they were replaced too, so oh well. LOL
With a plow on the front air shocks make sense. However, I would not choose to replace them in kind if they ever good back. There are much better options on the market.

Reactions: Chris