Help with hardtop

richtw

Last July I purchased a 2003 wrangler. I am pretty sure the hard top has been on for atleast 5 or more years

Today I planned to take it off. I was able to figure out how to disconnect the wiring to the wiper. I removed all 6 bolts in the back and then undid the clips in the front.

No matter how I tried, the top is not coming loose. I got inside and put my back against the roof, but no movement. tried laying on my back and using feet to push against the back hatch sill, but that did nothing. It seems to have sealed itself to the tub.

Wanted to see if others have had such issues and how they resolved them. I figure trying to pry it up may do more damage then good. would especially appreciate any tips on where to apply pressure and where not to apply pressure.

thanks.

Sounds frustrating as it should pop off easily, but before you get to physical with it please double check for any unseen bolts.

It's also very possible that the top has managed to glue itself to the rail so you may consider using a heat gun to try and separate it.

Reactions: VirtualRussel
My wranglers top was never removed when I purchased it still had the soft top installed had never been removed, still when I removed the bolts and windshield clips it released with a kind of a "pop". Been easier every since.
Please keep us informed on the results and what you did.

Last edited:
Can you visually tell if there's some sort of glue or adhesive holding it on? That's all I can think of. It should come off very easily once you remove the bolts and the latches in the front.

Can you visually tell if there's some sort of glue or adhesive holding it on? That's all I can think of. It should come off very easily once you remove the bolts and the latches in the front.
This, should come loose pretty easy unless someone did something to seal it up tight.
Mine has 3 bolts each side from the seatbelt/rollbar to the liftgate... plus the 2 windshield clips.

Make sure you can lift it first. It's pretty heavy. Once you get to a certain point there's no turning back lol. The back end will want to tilt too so watch out for that. I messed up my shoulder the first time I did it. Cost me gym time, but now I hit shoulders just so I can remove my top hehehe. No but on a serious note I think they weigh about 150 pounds. There's 3 bolts on each side and your front latches should be it. I would do what bamacon suggested but like he said GENTLY.

Last edited:
I had to carefully pry the hard top off of my 06 LJ at the corners with a plastic putty knife. After doing it for the first time with 4 buddies, I built a lift using square tubing and a come-a-long. Now I can do it by myself, and it stores next to the ceiling in my garage. One thing I do each year before I re-install the hardtop is wax the rails that the top bolts to, and now it comes loose easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't really add to this aside form saying my top had never been remove either. I followed the steps already outlined and of she came. Only thing I did differently was to apply a thin layer of Vaseline before putting it back on.

thanks everyone for your suggestions...I was able to pry one side up with no issue...on the other side it turns out the previous owner used double sided foam tape in a few places to make sure it was sealed, so that was much more reluctant to let go. A few more strenuous attemps, and as you can see below, I'm topless for the 3 day weekend!

IMG_9431.JPG

If you have a rubber mallet take it and lightly bang the corners and the middle of the top. It should pop off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk