Best place to mount a high lift jack?

I hear that.

I watched a few videos online and they seem very circumstantial...and not necessarily the best option for general jack use.

There is a time and place for them--however I haven't found it yet. Yes, I do have one. No, I don't carry it.

Reactions: EJD
Dammit why did I ever start this? I'm kicken a few back and I'm not going to read through all those posts right now. I remember Jerry convincing me to get a winch and that still is where I'm at down the road but since others are here now, look-I will never use this as a jack (yeah, right) seriously, my original question was if I was in a jam, on a level ground with a nearby tree and stuck in mud, and willing to work, will this (48") pull me out inch by inch?o_O

A 48" Hi-Lift's winching capability is more like 36" at the most and significantly less than that, if anything at all, once the slack is taken up. I really don't see it being enough for much of anything in the real world.

Not to mention you'd have to also buy either a chain (best) or a wire cable like a winch uses. Straps stretch too much to be of any use with a Hi-Lift.

Last edited:
Thanks once again Jerry. Now my dull, alcohol soaked brain is 100% set on a winch. I get the sretch thing now with the straps, pathetically, thats what I have on board with a 2-ton puller.Only way that will work is with no straps and too much work. I shoulda known anyway, Ive used a trailer winch and poly rope to pull big rocks and trees and had to re-position lots of times. Further distance and more weight hits home now. Damn beer.

Thanks once again Jerry. Now my dull, alcohol soaked brain is 100% set on a winch. I get the sretch thing now with the straps, pathetically, thats what I have on board with a 2-ton puller.Only way that will work is with no straps and too much work. I shoulda known anyway, Ive used a trailer winch and poly rope to pull big rocks and trees and had to re-position lots of times. Further distance and more weight hits home now. Damn beer.
Oh that just not fair-—-blaming it on the poor beer;)

Speaking of too much beer... I went to the air show in San Diego last weekend to see the Blue Angels. We paid for "Chalet" seating which put us in under a tent canopy with all the food, wine, and beer we could consume. I immediately consumed several of those free beers (hah it was only about 10am by that time lol) and then took off for all the military display booths. Had a ball, BS'd with the pilots most of the day. But that beer and all the stuff for sale in the military booths got to me lol. I came back with entirely too much cool stuff. Especially when I found the booths for SEAL teams III and VII. I love supporting those guys, especially since a friend of mine is a 19-year member of SEAL team 6, aka DEVGRU.

My wife looked at all the stuff in the bag when I stumbled back to where she was sitting and her first words were 'how much did all THAT stuff cost us?' LOL, I blamed it on the beer and she said ok but don't drink any more beer. :D

Reactions: Xposure and Stinger
Don't lie. You've got it bolted to the top of your hood like a billy badass Jeeper (in Blaine's words)!

:p

Chris I HAD a hood mount but had to take it off because of the scoop over the cowl vent. Pieces are sitting in my shop. The Jack is also in the shop shoved under a work bench. Both are for sale BTW.

Jack is brand new never used. Paint is pristine!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Weird that I cam across this today because today I decided that I would paint my Hi Lift to match my yellow Jeep. Its the only red thing I own. I got my Jeep in July and I got the Hi Lift as a gift the week after. I will get a winch sometime next year because its a big purchase and we still have other things to pay for before I could buy a winch I want with good conscious. I mounted mine to the rear roll cage at about the height of my back seat so I do not notice it but its there if I need it. Even if I do not ever use it it will add the extra weight to the rear and in Colorado in the winter that could be a help. Also I have dreams of somehow using it to jack up the ex wife's house and sliding it off the foundation in a river. I did find that the bottle jack the dealer threw in my jeep after I asked where it was does not life my jeep up high enough. I went to check my brakes last week and jacked it up as far as it could go and my 33's ended up about .25 inches off the ground. Fine for garage work but I imagine it would not work in my favor in the wild. I plan on replacing it with one that has the lever action and not the turning action this pos has. When I get my winch I will keep the Hi Lift that will be Yellow and black. If anything it gives me something else to tie stuff onto in a pinch.

Reactions: Chris
I went to check my brakes last week and jacked it up as far as it could go and my 33's ended up about .25 inches off the ground.
You just didn't place the jack in the correct location.

This is a photo of my 35" tire 3" off the ground with the factory bottle jack. It'll jack a 37" tire 1.5“ off the ground. The last thing you want to do with a Hi-Lift jack is to use it to change a tire. :)

35OnOEjack.jpg

Last edited:
Slight editing ;)
I like that. The newer the Jeeper, the more likely he'll be absolutely certain he needs a Hi-Lift to go off-road. The more experienced at offroading a Jeeper is, the more likely it is he'll be convinced the best place for his Hi-Lift is at home in his garage. :)

I used one years ago on my XJ. Damaged my door and almost damaged myself. Never used it again. They are very sketchy at best. They are good for making you look like a hard core wheeler, however:D

Also I have dreams of somehow using it to jack up the ex wife's house and sliding it off the foundation in a river.
I can relate:D

I went to check my brakes last week and jacked it up as far as it could go and my 33's ended up about .25 inches off the ground.
My stock jack was, jacked, so I bought a bottle jack from HF. Inexpensive and works fine. Something to consider if the stocker isn't working for you.

Reactions: Serbonze
Same here, all my first bunch of cars had them with the sole exception of my '66 VW beetle. Detroit stopped including them for safety reasons, too many people were getting seriously hurt with them. I have vivid memories of how the cars would often sway some when up on those jacks, they were scary even back then when they were common. Those jacks have their uses but changing tires is not a good one.

I broke my arm due to an old jack failure,many years ago.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm in agreement with Jerry on hi-lift jacks. I've been wheeling for 10 years, which may not sound like a lot, but its over half my life so far! Never ever seen someone use a hi-lift. I've seen plenty of people who have hi-lift jacks mounted on their rigs, but never once has there been a need for one. And to be honest, if you have the proper equipment, I don't really think there will ever be the need for one.