Best place to mount a high lift jack?

I may as well confess. My Jeep came with one that was like new but missing the base plate. It did have a big heavy plastic base that is probably for weight displacement for mud or sand. I live in desert country. I ordered the replacement parts and painted the jack riser red to fashionably accessorize the black jeep. Then I read the words of wisdom here about the inherent dangers and limited applicability. It might be semi-safe in sand if I somehow buried a wheel and needed a minor boost up. I doubt I would ever go out alone in the Arabian desert without another Jeep or ten ready to give a safer helping tug. I'll also wager I will not go out without very wide tires and sticking in sand shouldn't occur. I am not going to take chances and drive in areas that exceed my abilities. I assume my TJ can already do things I have no right trying. In the end, while it may look macho, a small shovel would be smarter and safer. I have the never been used factory jack and a 12 ton hydraulic that will lift almost 17" without a block of wood under it. I will sell the jack and take advantage of the wisdom of other people's mistakes. If I want to look really macho I'll go Jeeping naked.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
"I'm old enough to remember when cars came with a smaller version of a Hi-Lift from the factory for changing tires though". me too and I can remember several chrome bumpers mangled when those slipped and they weren't nearly as tall. I had a hi lift 30 yrs ago on a blazer and a winch. never used the hi lift but did use the winch several times. it's your money and your choice and as you can see experiences go both ways . if you do decide to go that way be safe read the horror stories from people who actually use them so you know what to watch out for.

Speaking of too much beer... I went to the air show in San Diego last weekend to see the Blue Angels. We paid for "Chalet" seating which put us in under a tent canopy with all the food, wine, and beer we could consume. I immediately consumed several of those free beers (hah it was only about 10am by that time lol) and then took off for all the military display booths. Had a ball, BS'd with the pilots most of the day. But that beer and all the stuff for sale in the military booths got to me lol. I came back with entirely too much cool stuff. Especially when I found the booths for SEAL teams III and VII. I love supporting those guys, especially since a friend of mine is a 19-year member of SEAL team 6, aka DEVGRU.

My wife looked at all the stuff in the bag when I stumbled back to where she was sitting and her first words were 'how much did all THAT stuff cost us?' LOL, I blamed it on the beer and she said ok but don't drink any more beer. :D

Soooo what I can learn from this story is when Im going to spend a sizeable chunk of change on Jeep parts....it might be helpful to drink plenty of beer first and order them online from somewhere that doesn’t take returns! Then when they show up at the door I can blame it all on the beer and ‘feel bad’ that we are stuck with them. Hahahaha

That is a great idea. ;)

Also Jerry, I noticed in those pics of you playing in the boulders that you didn’t have bead lock tires....what tire pressure do you run with standard beaded tires when your off-roading?

Last edited:
Reactions: ohiopatriot
Also Jerry, I noticed in those pics of you playing in the boulders that you didn’t have bead lock tires....what tire pressure do you run with standard beaded tires when your off-roading?
I've been running Walker Evans 15x8 beadlock wheels for around ten years now, I typically run 8 psi but I've dropped them to as low as 4 psi at times. I regularly ran 8 psi with never a problem with my previous non-bead lock 15x8 wheels. :)

I've been running Walker Evans 15x8 beadlock wheels for around ten years now, I typically run 8 psi but I've dropped them to as low as 4 psi at times. I regularly ran 8 psi with never a problem with my previous non-bead lock 15x8 wheels. :)

Wow, that's lower than I expected with non-bead lock. I suppose there are variables like how stiff the sidewalls are. So with just 8psi you never had your wheel spin in them and break loose from the bead? I suppose it's typically broken loose by someone getting heavy footed with the gas petal. That's good to know... thanks for the info

Wow, that's lower than I expected with non-bead lock. I suppose there are variables like how stiff the sidewalls are. So with just 8psi you never had your wheel spin in them and break loose from the bead?
They never came unseated from my previous non-beadlock 15x8 wheels, though you can run lower pressures with larger tires like my 35x12.50 tires. I wouldn't run a significantly smaller tire like a 30 or 32" at 8 psi.

But be aware that wider wheels like 10" require higher air pressure to keep the tire seated.

First and foremost i agree ths hi lift is inherently unsafe.
But we are all hypocrites
This is "safe"
maxresdefault (1).jpg

But never do this
61qikoNVrGL._SY879_.jpg

We all do dangerous things.

So Im looking to get a high lift jack for my 97 tj. I prefer U.S. made and looking for the best price and quality.also any input on the best mounting points and hardware would be appreciated. Never got stuck yet but all I carry is a 2ton puller and a jack mounted looks way cool. Is there a least desireable place to mount it?

I mounted mine crosswise behind the front seats-—-it is out of the way and stays clean

First and foremost i agree ths hi lift is inherently unsafe.
But we are all hypocrites
This is "safe"
View attachment 51126
But never do this

We all do dangerous things.
Yes but no part of us is under our Jeeps when we're doing things like that. And for those who buy a Hi-Lift thinking they need it to change their 33" or 35" tires, don't. The TJ's factory jack can easily change 35" tires and up to 37" in a pinch. :)

I have a hi-lift that I will sale locally for $50 (when I get back to San Diego in a few months)... but I’m not liable if you hurt yourself.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford