Hinge-Based Light Brackets Removal

AndyA

2006 TJ X
Supporting Member
I need to remove these ratty light brackets that are on the windscreen hinge. What am I in for? I have read on here something about a bracket on the inside that falls down? If so what is the procedure to avoid getting into a mess with this?

Also what are the specs for the bolts? Torx M8-1.25 by what length? Some other size?

Thanks! Andy

IMG-9311.jpg

Last edited:
Someone replaced the factory torx bolts with allen head bolts. Those can be dicey. They’ve also been mistreated, so they’re likely on the verge of stripping. Who knows if they used loctite on them.

I bought a manual impact to remove the factory torx bolts. They are about $20. You whack it at the base with a 2-3lb sledge and it twists it slightly to break the bolt free. Better than the danger of stripping it by putting an impact gun on it.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...b-C-iIhqo-YLem1XsIYaAuIREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you’re not worried about the brackets you can use heat.

I’ve watched some videos where people used a threaded rod to hold the plate up. After removing each bolt they just thread some in to hold it. I’ll be doing this in a few weeks to add A-Pillar armor.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyA
Thanks JMT. Yeah, I was studying those bolts and they look like a pain. I didn't know that tool existed so I will pick one of those up.

Andy

Reactions: JMT
New bolts and threaded rod. :D Andy

View attachment 425592

I look forward to seeing how it goes. I hope to do mine in a couple of weeks so I can add A-Pillar armor. This seems like the safest way. It’s nice the tools are rather cheap to do a job a lot of people have stripped bolts on. 🙂

Of course seven bolts were easily removed with a two foot breaker bar but one had to be a little bastard.

After trying the hand impact tool, PB blaster and cutting a slot in it I resorted to a method that has never failed me: a cobalt bit, general purpose oil to cool the bit and this set of bolt extractors. Made easy work of it.

Thankfully the paint under the brackets is OK.

Andy

IMG-9690.JPG

IMG-9689.JPG

IMG-9681.JPG

IMG-9683.JPG

Of course seven bolts were easily removed with a two foot breaker bar but one had to be a little bastard.

After trying the hand impact tool, PB blaster and cutting a slot in it I resorted to a method that has never failed me: a cobalt bit, general purpose oil to cool the bit and this set of bolt extractors. Made easy work of it.

Thankfully the paint under the brackets is OK.

Andy

View attachment 431745

View attachment 431746

View attachment 431747

View attachment 431748

Geez, mine came right out with the hand impact. The paint does look good!

Reactions: AndyA