Hinge kit?

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
My hinges are the greatest as they have chips and some surface rust, so they will be a maintenance thing for years to come. Anyone know of hinge replacement kits that are good? I suspect most will be substandard showboat crap, but I thought I would ask. Thanks.

*** I should have asked which hinges, door, tailgate or hood before submitting the below.

I recently installed a MORryde HD tire carrier, but you can buy just the hinges instead of the entire kit. You can build your own depending on your budget, or you can buy used stock red hinges from me.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-hd-tail-hinges-j102515.html?utm_content=XT Armor - Body Armor|MORryde&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var3=yellow&T5_Var4=J102515&intl=0&utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+No+Vehicle+High&gclid=CKHgx-Pst9kCFUKiswodlS0D2A&gclsrc=ds

For door hinges, I glass beaded a set of stainless steel hinges and then clear coated them. My LJ is silver so the colour match is complimentary and of course ... they'll never rust!

For tailgate hinges, I replaced them with Moryde hinges ... MUCH stronger plus I can grease them.

I'd get a set of stock hinges, media blast them (if they have any rust) and then repaint them. That's the only way I would do it, as stock one will be superior to any aftermarket crap (which I'm sure you know).

For door hinges, I glass beaded a set of stainless steel hinges and then clear coated them. My LJ is silver so the colour match is complimentary and of course ... they'll never rust!

For tailgate hinges, I replaced them with Moryde hinges ... MUCH stronger plus I can grease them.

I like the idea of stainless and clear coat. Do you remember what brand? I think I might go that route as silver and stainless would blend pretty well. Kentrol seems like it might be an option to replace all the hinges on the front and doors. The back isn't a concern since the giant tire covers everything anyway and looks like I will pop a wheelie if I accelerate or go up a hill. lol Sorry, still pushing a little for no spare. My mechanic will have a heat attack if I don't have a spare however. lol

I'd get a set of stock hinges, media blast them (if they have any rust) and then repaint them. That's the only way I would do it, as stock one will be superior to any aftermarket crap (which I'm sure you know).
Ha, I just posted prior to your response. You might be right for sure. I was sort of hoping for Kentrol being an option, but I can blast a set and have the repainted. Ugh, just not sure what to do. Thanks for the reply. I am also worried about factory fit as the Kentrol's might not fit like factory according to some reviews. I wouldn't like that.

Reactions: Chris
Ha, I just posted prior to your response. You might be right for sure. I was sort of hoping for Kentrol being an option, but I can blast a set and have the repainted. Ugh, just not sure what to do. Thanks for the reply. I am also worried about factory fit as the Kentrol's might not fit like factory according to some reviews. I wouldn't like that.

I always go factory when I can, because then I know there won't be an issue with fit. Even if it means I have to blast it and repaint it, it's worth it to me.

I like the idea of stainless and clear coat. Do you remember what brand? I think I might go that route as silver and stainless would blend pretty well. Kentrol seems like it might be an option to replace all the hinges on the front and doors. ...
I used Kentrol stainless steel hinges. I Looked at Smittybilt and Rampage hinges and Kentrol seemed to be a bit better finish. The fit was good. I also used TMR Delrin bushings.

I used Kentrol stainless steel hinges. I Looked at Smittybilt and Rampage hinges and Kentrol seemed to be a bit better finish. The fit was good. I also used TMR Delrin bushings.

Do you have any pictures? We have the same color it seems. Not sure which route I will go, but like the idea of new for some things. Thanks.

Do you have any pictures? We have the same color it seems. Not sure which route I will go, but like the idea of new for some things. Thanks.
I don't have any close ups but the pics below might help. I glass beaded them simply to dull the shiny SS surface. They are darker than the Bright Silver paint on the Jeep which is fine with me. The darker matt finish looks a bit "tougher" :D The hinges have gone through 2 winters. They haven't rusted of course and the aerosol Dupicolor clear coat has held up well. I haven't installed the top door/windshield hinges yet. I'm waiting until I can remove the windshield, paint it, etc. I also have a set of SS door hinges that I plan blast, clear coat and install.

upload_2018-2-22_11-49-16.png

upload_2018-2-22_11-49-55.png