How to bypass the heater core

Edgar Marton

How do replace heater core without new heater core?
THE HUNGARIAN WAY

One year ago I noticed a leak in my Heater Core - the coolant ran out. I found several ways to repair it - but it takes a lot of time. Changing the heater was not an option - I did not want to disassemble the whole Jeep.....

Jeep dealers and spare parts do not exist in Hungary. So I was looking for a solution from the hardware store .... and found it ... water installation parts

1.5 meters water hose 18 mm
3/4 inch connections
3 meter gas hose (yellow) - flexible stainless steel pipe
insulation material
fittings

Note: I do not have a garage or work space. The jeep stands in a public car park of a hotel. Tools only from a cheap Chinese hardware store around the corner!

It works well - the jeep gets warm enough in winter to get the windscreen ice-free.
Best Regards
Edgar from Hungary

That was my first attempt - only 2 Meters of gas hose (Unfortunately that was not enough for the heat output)
003.jpg

Then I experimented a bit with extensions and L-angles (all 1/2 inch). This is the final version.

008.jpg

The connections to the water hose go through the rain drain into the engine compartment. There, the hoses are connected to the already often described bypass.
003.jpg

002.jpg

Shorten the cover cap with the cutter :
004.jpg

and in the end you have this final solution
no guarantee, but it works fine for me

009.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:
How do replace heater core without new heater core?
THE HUNGARIAN WAY

One year ago I noticed a leak in my Heater Core - the coolant ran out. I found several ways to repair it - but it takes a lot of time. Changing the heater was not an option - I did not want to disassemble the whole Jeep.....

Jeep dealers and spare parts do not exist in Hungary. So I was looking for a solution from the hardware store .... and found it ... water installation parts

1.5 meters water hose 18 mm
3/4 inch connections
3 meter gas hose (yellow) - flexible stainless steel pipe
insulation material
fittings

It works well - the jeep gets warm enough in winter to get the windscreen ice-free.
Best Regards
Edgar from Hungary

That was my first attempt - only 2 Meters of gas hose (Unfortunately that was not enough for the heat output)
View attachment 117361

Then I experimented a bit with extensions and L-angles (all 1/2 inch). This is the final version.

View attachment 117362

The connections to the water hose go through the rain drain into the engine compartment. There, the hoses are connected to the already often described bypass.
View attachment 117363

View attachment 117364

Shorten the cover cap with the cutter :
View attachment 117365

and in the end you have this final solution
no guarantee, but it works fine for me

View attachment 117366

View attachment 117367
It would work way better if you got the regular gas line. It is thinner and the yellow is just a sleeve that pulls off. I have used it many times as a heat exchanger in other situations. The appliance connection shown is thicker and will transfer less heat.

Nicely done! Something like this can really be a life saver in a bind. Had to do this on another car in the past.