How to find trails?

TJBob

TJ Enthusiast
Was wondering how y’all find legal trails to wheel on? There are a couple of places that I’ve found in Indiana, badlands, Redbud, and another that I can’t remember the name of... I’ve putted around on a few service trails in Hoosier National Forest , but I’m not sure thats really legal in Indiana... just wondering if everyone goes to “off road parks” or if you just find a service trail and explore it despite the consequences that may or may not follow. I’ve downloaded a couple of free apps, but I can’t make out if the trails marked are smaller ATV (quad/dirt bike) trails. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Get yourself a USFS map of the area you wish to visit. The OHV trails can be located with the legend. Same with BLM.

Reactions: StG58 and TJBob
Seek out local wheeling clubs. Many have agreements with private landowners and can access private land.

It’s the model that works so well here in the NE. Besides the 2 public parks in PA, there are no other places to go.

Reactions: RD3
Also look at all the different 4WD magazines. They will list trails they are running and a few of them even give grid coordinates. For the popular places like Moab I have bought some of the guide books to find them.

I don't have one but have thought about getting one: Megellan TRX7 Street & Trail
  • Off-Road GPS Navigation System
  • DigitalGlobe Satellite Map View Available with Subscription
  • 7" HD Touchscreen
  • Hi-res (10M) 2D Topo & 3D Basemap
  • Intuitive Interface
  • Over 120,000 Preloaded Designated OHV Routes
  • Off-Road Waypoint List
  • Backtrack
  • One-touch Social Sharing
  • Searchable Outdoor & Off-Road Points of Interest (POI)
  • Off-track Notification
  • Easily Record Custom Waypoints
  • Online Community Trail Database
  • Earn Badges & Dirt Miles
  • Free Lifetime Map and Software Updates
I currently have a Lowrance GPS but I like the idea of all the loaded trails.

Make sure to check local laws as far as orv stickers go.. here in Michigan, you need a orv sticker and orv trail permit for most trails.
Best to keep the dnr off your ass.
And try to stick to the orv routes. Not orv trails. The trails are generally for smaller vehicles.