How to install a clutch

RaymondT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I didn't see a clutch installation section in the how-to forum. This youtube video is most excellent;

The last part of the video is the best master-slave bleeding procedure I have seen. A must-view if your contemplating doing this job.

Don't forget the medium threadlocker on the bell housing to engine bolts. It seems there are many threads of bellhousing damage from loose bolts.

Very, very helpful! I'm going to move this to the "How-to" section!

Removing pilot bearing.

I have yet to try this trick on a Jeep but I've used it in the past on other vehicles. After you get the pressure plate and friction disc off, pack the pilot bearing and crankshaft cavity behind it with grease - the thicker the better (wheel bearing grease works good). Using a tight-fitting shaft that barely fits the inside of the bearing, give it a good rap with a heavy hammer. The hydraulic action will push the bearing back out towards you. You may have to repack more grease and work at it a few minutes but it's the safest way to remove pilot bearings. I bought one of those KD clutch alignment kits with the different diameter ends but you can always make or find something that works.

Update: While this trick works well for vehicles with the pilot bearing in the crank, there's no need for the TJ. The pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel and can easily be installed on the bench.

Last edited:
I didn't see a clutch installation section in the how-to forum. This youtube video is most excellent;

The last part of the video is the best master-slave bleeding procedure I have seen. A must-view if your contemplating doing this job.

Don't forget the medium threadlocker on the bell housing to engine bolts. It seems there are many threads of bellhousing damage from loose bolts.

Thank you so much for the excellent video which I think will solve my problem and thank you Raymond for taking the time and interest to respond to this. Im very new to this forum site and hope I'm responding in the right section. Please let me know if you received this response and thanks much again.
Pocono

Hi Raymond,
My terrain allowed for me to get the master cylinder at 45 deg. without removing the master, so I did the procedure as per the video and for the first time I saw the fluid level drop a little. To me thats a good sign and only time will tell if it worked but I think it did. Thanks much again for the video and your help.
pocojo

It was just a youtube video I stumbled upon. The key thing to remember is that air compresses, fluid does not. Any amount of air trapped in the lines or cylinders shortens the stroke.

Reactions: Chris
It was just a youtube video I stumbled upon. The key thing to remember is that air compresses, fluid does not. Any amount of air trapped in the lines or cylinders shortens the stroke.
Hello Raymond, Since I watched the vid you sent and followed the procedure, i haven't had any problems since and thanks again. I now have a problem wondering what are the proper steps in navigating the site to post a new thread. I really don't remember how I did it the last time. Please believe me that Im not some crazy old fool because I am actively licensed to operate Con Edisons power plants and have an active pilot's license for the last 47 years. Trying to find out how to post a new thread on this site is a real challenge to me. Is there any section that has directions on how to do so? People my age are not as adept at navigating web sites as the younger ones are but not many younger people can run power plants or fly airplanes. If you would be kind enough and take time from your busy schedule to send be a basic method of getting into the new thread area, I would print it as a future guideline and never leave it to memory again. Once again, thanks for that vid and your time as it was extremely helpful. Have a good Independence Day weekend.
Joe (Pocojo)