How-to Make a Custom Core Support Brace Cooler Mount

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
This is a rough guide on how to mount a cooler with a custom bracket that replaces the factory v-brace in front of the radiator.

Since seeing the PSC cooler mount I've always wanted to make a similar mount for my Jeep. I used 5052 Aluminum because it is easy to work with and isn't too expensive. For the project I used a 12" x 18" piece of 3/16" 5052 sourced from Metal Remnants Inc on ebay. The cooler I used is a generic 679 style.

679.jpg

It's a large inexpensive cooler and I like the construction. They are generic coolers, I found this one on ebay for just over $40. They might be made by Global Air.

template.jpg

I made a rough template of where I wanted the cooler to sit and test fit the replacement cardboard brace to be sure it fit. You have to mount the cooler low enough to clear the hood catch.

blank.jpg

Once I had a template it wasn't too difficult to cut out the brace. I used a jig saw with a good metal blade.

v-brace.jpg

Since the location of the three mounting holes is critical I removed the v-brace and made sure to get those right. If you plan on removing the grill entirely this isn't as important. I also used the brace as a guide on how much to bend the top ears.

rough-cut.jpg

3/16" was plenty to tap so drilled and tapped mounting holes for the cooler and then painted and assembled the whole thing. Final installation isn't easy, it requires removing the condenser from the grill assembly which is a project in itself. I was able to slide the whole thing in without removing the radiator or fan. I just had to loosen almost everything to slide it in.

final-driver.jpg

Here is the finished brace installed. It sits very close to the condenser which is really the whole point of going through all this.

final-pass.jpg

I used spring clamps on everything and reversed the flow through the factory cooler to simplify routing the hoses. There is plenty of room on the passenger side for both hoses to pass down and not interfere with anything.

If you want to mount an odd size cooler and not break the bank this is a great way to do it.