How to troubleshoot Air conditioner?

Ledabug

Hey guys so my ac works however when you turn it on high it'll cut off. I did some googling and all signs pointed to the resistor so I replaced it. It looked pretty gross when I pulled it out so I was confident that was going to be the problem. It was not. What else should I look at?

Remove the bezel and unscrew the controller. Check the back of the controller. The wires have been known to melt the plastic on the back of the a/c controller unit. I’ve been able to fix it once and replaced it the second time

Remove the bezel and unscrew the controller. Check the back of the controller. The wires have been known to melt the plastic on the back of the a/c controller unit. I’ve been able to fix it once and replaced it the second time

Agree! This is a common issue with TJs. There is a lot of information here and elsewhere regarding troubleshooting and repairing the a/c control panel and related wiring. However, the best advice I ran across was to consider replacing the actual blower fan motor. Apparently, as the blower motor ages, the bushings wear and cause higher amperage draw to continue operating. The higher amperage draw is the root cause of the heat that melts wiring and switches on the control panel. Food for thought!

Reactions: Rickyd
It will most likely be the controller - they Run about 140-180 bucks, save your knobs and your receipt if shopping local- and you vacuum harness extension on the back- aftermarket ones don’t always come complete.