I built tube doors for my friend's JK

Austin O.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A while ago I built some tube doors for my tj:

IMG_9164.jpeg

One of my friends that I’ve known practically since I was born just got a jk and asked me to make doors for him because he liked mine so much.

He has no experience at all using any type of tools, let alone building anything… I got him to help me out with building them. He learned a ton and loved it.

Our template:

IMG_9111.jpeg

I bought a tube notcher for this because I struggled last time getting angles and joints correct. This made it crazy easy and much more enjoyable.

IMG_9130.jpeg

Started cutting stuff and piecing it together:

IMG_7360.jpeg

IMG_9131.jpeg

I found that rather than trying to measure and mark where to notch the pipes, it was easier to just notch shorter pieces and then cut a length of pipe to fit in between the two notched sides:

IMG_9138.jpeg

IMG_9137.jpeg

All tacked up:

IMG_9136.jpeg

IMG_9139.jpeg

Then fully welded them and ground down the welds:

IMG_9143.jpeg

I cut my finger right on the knuckle with a flap disk of all things and had to get three stitches - not fun. I’ll now wear gloves forever when using a grinder… learned my lesson

Made hinges:

IMG_9166.jpeg

And then a simple latch with a bolt that just drops through two holes - same design as my doors… and added some hot glue to the inside of the latch so it it is a tight fit with the Jeep and doesn’t rattle:

IMG_9168.jpeg

Then painted them with a black bedliner and put them on the Jeep!

IMG_9230.jpeg

IMG_9240.jpeg

IMG_9239.jpeg

I think they look great, he loves them, he’s just waiting on mirrors now!

Your friend is lucky to count you among his friends. Great job!

Reactions: Danarch
A while ago I built some tube doors for my tj:

View attachment 507505

One of my friends that I’ve known practically since I was born just got a jk and asked me to make doors for him because he liked mine so much.

He has no experience at all using any type of tools, let alone building anything… I got him to help me out with building them. He learned a ton and loved it.

Our template:

View attachment 507506

I bought a tube notcher for this because I struggled last time getting angles and joints correct. This made it crazy easy and much more enjoyable.

View attachment 507507

Started cutting stuff and piecing it together:

View attachment 507508

View attachment 507509

I found that rather than trying to measure and mark where to notch the pipes, it was easier to just notch shorter pieces and then cut a length of pipe to fit in between the two notched sides:

View attachment 507510

View attachment 507511

All tacked up:

View attachment 507512

View attachment 507513

Then fully welded them and ground down the welds:

View attachment 507514

I cut my finger right on the knuckle with a flap disk of all things and had to get three stitches - not fun. I’ll now wear gloves forever when using a grinder… learned my lesson

Made hinges:

View attachment 507515

And then a simple latch with a bolt that just drops through two holes - same design as my doors… and added some hot glue to the inside of the latch so it it is a tight fit with the Jeep and doesn’t rattle:

View attachment 507516

Then painted them with a black bedliner and put them on the Jeep!

View attachment 507517

View attachment 507518

View attachment 507519

I think they look great, he loves them, he’s just waiting on mirrors now!

Pretty cool you just went after it. Great project to do with a friend and introduce him to DIY’ing. These skills are invaluable. Nice job! Cool notcher too!

Reactions: Danarch
Pretty cool you just went after it. Great project to do with a friend and introduce him to DIY’ing. These skills are invaluable. Nice job! Cool notcher too!

Yeah, thanks! Was a bit more confident this time around than when I did it with mine just because I now had some experience. Some of the stuff with angles gets real tricky though. All around super fun project

Reactions: JMT