I think I got too big for my britches! Help on my car needed

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So instead of investigating why my stereo head unit isn’t working in my TJ, I decide today’s The day I’m going to change the spark plugs in my car. So I start the process and by the time I got into it I had the entire manifold removed and about 70 bolts from different parts of the vehicle. I started to panic because I wasn’t sure how I was going to remember where everything was supposed to go back to. My panic was taken over by anger when I realized I have special spark plugs that no one has except for 100 miles away. So they’re being shipped to Green Bay tomorrow and my son is driving them to me. But once I got in there I started to realize why my car seem to be burning oil. It looks as though the spark plugs seals need to be replaced. That kit comes with a valve cover gasket also which should be replaced at the same time. Dave is now getting a little worried that we might be in over our heads.Oh yeah, I have the Haynes service manual for my car, but after searching for 35 minutes realized I brought it to work to look at so we don’t even have that to use. I was hoping somebody could give me some reassurance that we will be able to finish this job up. My car has a mivec 3.8 L engine. It’s a ralliart model for the Mitsubishi gallant 2009.
Considering all the work we did to get to the six spark plugs, I really don’t want to put it all back together knowing that those seals are bad and I would need to replace them very soon or have a shop do it. So I’m really hoping we’re going to be able to finish this job. Any input is appreciated. Also replacing the manifold gasket set and throttle bo day gasket. And my throttle body was very black. Which is concerning based on others I’ve seen much older and cleaner.
B339107A-EC2A-4736-A471-479CA0961230.jpeg
C168F210-84C7-4B11-8C8B-1655501B69F5.jpeg
3B53DF3D-24E7-452B-BC20-3AAC51F14E16.jpeg
4C61AD29-BFCA-4EB1-B5C9-18611F2257AB.jpeg

Ok Kathy, Deep breaths. Take your time.
Things to remember, most of the stuff you took apart will mostly plug in one way, and just fit, so if something is too short it probably doesn't go there. If your bolts are all in a bucket, find a clean open space to lay them out, and lay them by size and start categorizing them. You will find that might be easier knowing where they go, Like for instance your valve cover bolts. If you know they are all the same size and same amount remove them from the others so you are not confused where they go.

Things with gaskets make sure you clean the surfaces really well and try not to touch them too much with your fingers to keep your finger oils off of the surfaces especially the precision cut surfaces.

Take it slow, and don't let panic set in. Remember to turn on some GandR to keep yourself calm, and enjoy that awesome garage.

You can do this!

Sound advice from @ac_ as usual.....allot of parts are made to fit in only one way...slow everything down and do as above.( the good news is that you know you have all the parts you need to put in back together as they where all at one time on the car, right ? and it was going before you took it part so there another bonus.

Reactions: RussTJ and ac_
Ok Kathy, Deep breaths. Take your time.
Things to remember, most of the stuff you took apart will mostly plug in one way, and just fit, so if something is too short it probably doesn't go there. If your bolts are all in a bucket, find a clean open space to lay them out, and lay them by size and start categorizing them. You will find that might be easier knowing where they go, Like for instance your valve cover bolts. If you know they are all the same size and same amount remove them from the others so you are not confused where they go.

Things with gaskets make sure you clean the surfaces really well and try not to touch them too much with your fingers to keep your finger oils off of the surfaces especially the precision cut surfaces.

Take it slow, and don't let panic set in. Remember to turn on some GandR to keep yourself calm, and enjoy that awesome garage.

You can do this!
Thank you! The deep breath advise was much needed yesterday . I actually was experiencing a full blown anxiety attack. I feel much better about it today and am ready to tackle it.
Dave had taught me to separate out the bolts so I did do that, and tried to take mental notes multiple times yesterday as I stared at them thinking I’m never gonna remember where these go. I just don’t want to cause more damage so is always my big fear. But I think I got this.
And the music is a great reminder. I couldn’t listen yesterday because I had Dave catching up on making a murderer part two while he was fixing his Jeep. ( if you have Netflix and haven’t seen making a murderer the first series it’s great. Or should I say a nightmare for some. The entire thing has happened in Dave’s hometown and where I’ve been living for the past 7 years.)
Anyways, music is on order today! Thank you :sun_smiley::enamorado:

Reactions: ac_
Sound advice from @ac_ as usual.....allot of parts are made to fit in only one way...slow everything down and do as above.( the good news is that you know you have all the parts you need to put in back together as they where all at one time on the car, right ? and it was going before you took it part so there another bonus.
Thanks ! Yes to both points. And if I solve the mystery of burning oil by fixing the spark plug seals, I’ll be thrilled! I’ve never owned a vehicle that burned oil so am glad I might have found the culprit.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I hate to bring bad news but spark plug seals will not cause it to burn oil. It’ll just cause the ignition boots to disintegrate eventually from the oil. If you’re burning oil it’s either valve stem seals or piston rings.

You'll get this, take your time and relax. For future reference your camera is your best friend. Take dozens of pictures and from every angle. You'll refer back to them many times, I promise. As far as "mental notes", they usually only last until you take another one. Also, for stuff like manifold bolts, turn a cardboard box upside down and poke holes in it that represent the manifold. Mark front and back then push the bolts through the holes to duplicate the layout.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
I hate to bring bad news but spark plug seals will not cause it to burn oil. It’ll just cause the ignition boots to disintegrate eventually from the oil. If you’re burning oil it’s either valve stem seals or piston rings.
Well I said burning oil but my oil level keeps being low, but I never smell or see oil burning. The inside of the plug holes had oil in it amd the valve cover seemed to have a lot of oil in it. I’m hoping there isn’t major things wrong with it, but at least I’m getting new spark plugs put in and seals and we will go from there.

You'll get this, take your time and relax. For future reference your camera is your best friend. Take dozens of pictures and from every angle. You'll refer back to them many times, I promise. As far as "mental notes", they usually only last until you take another one. Also, for stuff like manifold bolts, turn a cardboard box upside down and poke holes in it that represent the manifold. Mark front and back then push the bolts through the holes to duplicate the layout.
Great suggestions.! Thank you

Well I wanted to update those that gave suggestions and words of encouragement that we were able to get the car back together. Dave did the bulk of re assembly due to working opposite schedules and there was too much stuff for me to do alone without his assistance so he finished up putting the throttle body back together with a new seal and manifold gasket on and back together. I did put the new plugs in and assisted with the new gasket on the valve covers. It is running and I can’t say better, but at least the same. Im going to monitor the loss of oil and see if what w did changed that situation. Time will tell.

Once Dave gets his Escalade done , next up is my TJ! I can’t wait. I’m gonna continue to study the forum and manual for everything I need for getting under it .
Thanks again :)