Ignition Lock Cylinder

jasonbreslau

I have a 2000 TJ / 2.5 Auto.

I purchased the Dorman lock cylinder replacement. When I try to remove the old one it pops out as it should half way but then it wont come out all the way. It seems like the button you have to press in to remove it is getting stuck again.

Any thoughts??

I don't have a Haynes manual, but have a Jeep Factory Service Manual. There is a small hole in the underside of the steering column. This leads to a small square (slightly less than a 1/4 inch square) button that is part of the ignition key cylinder. Use a small screwdriver (regular or phillips) or a punch. Insert it into the hole. You must be able to turn the key to the "run" position first before inserting the screwdriver/punch into the hole. Then just push up gently on whatever you are using and it will release the tang and you can pull the ignition cylinder out of the steering column. I recently had problems with mine locking up (swallowed too much sand on the sand dunes). The lock cylinder simply turns the ignition switch that is inside the steering column. I took mine to a lock smith who disassembled it, cleaned it, put in new springs/tumblers and reassembled it. Works fine today.

From the FSM:

IGNITION SWITCH AND KEY CYLINDER
The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before removing ignition switch.
KEY CYLINDER REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
(2) If equipped with an automatic transmission, place shifter in PARK position.
(3) Rotate key to ON position .
(4) A release tang is located on bottom of key cylinder.
(5) Position a small screwdriver or pin punch into tang access hole on bottom of steering column lower cover.
(6) Push the pin punch up while pulling key cylinder from steering column.

Note: If you are going to have the lock cylinder out of the column for a while, use a wide blade screwdriver and turn the ignition switch back a click to the off position so you do not run you battery down.

If you turn the ignition switch off, be sure to turn it back on before attempting to insert the lock cylider. Again a wide blade screwdriver is all you need to turn the ignition switch inside the steering column.