I'm an idiot

Master Idiot here.

I got my 05 LJ back in October knowing that I'd have some work ahead of me. So far, nothing as serious as you've described, but still, it's an older Jeep with a lot of miles and things do wear out. I'm still sorting things out, but it's getting there. Just keep plugging away at it and you'll get there.

Coming from the CJ5 world before I got my LJ, I'll give you a bit of warning. You might just decide to keep the Wrangler. I'm very satisfied with mine and feel it's a lot more Jeep than any of the ones I had before. I still love the old CJs, but the TJ/LJ Wranglers are a lot of Jeep themselves. Mine has it's permanent home here.

Hey man, I bought a used 2000 sahara knowing it had the bad head and needed brakes and lifters. Basically paid a guy 1900 to do it all and he even found a crack in the radiator and replaced it for free because he quoted me more on the labor than needed. Got a newer model head, lifters, bearings, pistons, radiator, oil, filter and radiator. Peace of mind is what I wanted because I remember when those old heads were twisting at the hint of overheating. No regrets at all.

Reactions: Rooster
The new lift goes in tomorrow and the TJ (Rooster) goes up first to replace the rebuilt 32RH automatic. Once the TJ is 100% operational, the CJ (Jolly Green) get the Smithsonian level restoration. Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. I was a little despondent over the issues that came with the TJ but, I'm now invigorated and ready to build not one, but, two jeeps, 20 years apart in lineage. I appreciate your support!!
20190105_133506.jpg

Look on the bright side, you could be into it for far more money. I'm into mine for nearly 60k if you count the 17k I paid for it.

I like the CJ, but I definitely like that TJ more!
My last and only jeep was an 85 cj7 that I bought new. fast forward to 2018 when I bought the 99 tj, I thought it could never come close to the feeling that the cj gave me, I was so wrong, I like it way better. Me and the wife were talking about it going down the road last night about how much better the tj is even at 20 years old with a bucket full of problems.

Reactions: Chris
I thought it could never come close to the feeling that the cj gave me,
I my early adult life I had nothing but Jeeps. In 1990, life happened and I lost my YJ.
Fast forward 25 years to when I got The Muddog. That first weekend driving him around topless reminded me what it had been like back then. It felt like I had found a part of myself I had forgotten was there. It made me happy.

Yes, you are an idiot, and a class A moron on top of that.... but so em i.
I went from racing Subarus and BMWs to a ..... Jeep.

I don't think there is enough words to describe the amount of chilly feelings, sorrows and downs i went through with my transition.
Now i am the happiest driver on the road that gets tons of thumbs up.

Reactions: Rooster
UPDATE:
Well, I never did find the gremlin that keeps turning the CEL on but everything else seems to be working. Took it out a couple weeks ago and the new 35s bent the tie rod up pretty good (upgrade time), new gears and an Aussie locker in the rear, and working on installing a new set of shocks now (the Rancho RS5000X seems to be a popular choice here). Oh, and I am replacing the fuel tank skid and while it's down, I want to change the fuel pump module but there's a lot of discussion around which brand to get. Anyway, Rooster is alive and well.

20191109_104157.jpg

received_973187759699754.jpeg

Reactions: Steel City 06
I recently bought a 1997 TJ with 233k miles on it, knowing there were some issues to address. First was a new battery and complete brake overhaul (new MC, hard lines, pads and shoes). The jeep DOES run but sounds like a diesel on the low end. Then, I found that the 32RH slips in 1st and reverse so that's going off for a rebuild. The blower switch doesn't work on high, it needed a new hood/cowl seal, dropping the skid pan/crossmember revealed all six frame nuts need to be replaced, and the front driveshaft is bent. Unfortunately, I didn't discover half of this until I owned it. I have driven it once and the auto shifts fine after it warms up but, suffice to say, buyer's remorse is creeping in. I only bought this to have something to play with while I restore my CJ7 so, I'm not forming any deep emotional attachment to it. Guess I was just looking for a pep talk...View attachment 70506
First you realize it's not the gem you thought, even in the rough , Then you stood back and said it's not so bad I can fix that. 2hrs later a 6 pack of buyers remorse medicine your both still in the same garage Your probably gonna give the stray a home.

Reactions: Willys LJ
First you realize it's not the gem you thought, even in the rough , Then you stood back and said it's not so bad I can fix that. 2hrs later a 6 pack of buyers remorse medicine your both still in the same garage Your probably gonna give the stray a home.
I've had him for a year now and working on him as we speak.

20191124_220121.jpg

I my early adult life I had nothing but Jeeps. In 1990, life happened and I lost my YJ.
Fast forward 25 years to when I got The Muddog. That first weekend driving him around topless reminded me what it had been like back then. It felt like I had found a part of myself I had forgotten was there. It made me happy.
I can relate! My family outgrew my YJ 15 years ago I just bought a 97 TJ and I have just as much fun working on it as I do driving it! I'm 20 years younger than I was 6 months ago!

Reactions: Willys LJ
I can relate! My family outgrew my YJ 15 years ago I just bought a 97 TJ and I have just as much fun working on it as I do driving it! I'm 20 years younger than I was 6 months ago!
That’s a great post .

we don’t need therapy, these things ARE therapy .

hanging out in the garage , figuring things out , the excitement of parts coming in, making it better , making it yours - that’s all good stuff.

Look on the bright side, you could be into it for far more money. I'm into mine for nearly 60k if you count the 17k I paid for it.

I like the CJ, but I definitely like that TJ more!

"I'm into mine for nearly 60k" does the wife know that :) What have you done ?

UPDATE:
Well, I never did find the gremlin that keeps turning the CEL on but everything else seems to be working. Took it out a couple weeks ago and the new 35s bent the tie rod up pretty good (upgrade time), new gears and an Aussie locker in the rear, and working on installing a new set of shocks now (the Rancho RS5000X seems to be a popular choice here). Oh, and I am replacing the fuel tank skid and while it's down, I want to change the fuel pump module but there's a lot of discussion around which brand to get. Anyway, Rooster is alive and well.

View attachment 126376

View attachment 126377
If you decide to go with just the pump and not a complete assembly you can get the Bosch pump but it does not come with the pick-up screens or a the new rubber grommet that seals the pump to the internal screen. Just got done finding that out myself.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-tj-today.1784/page-676#post-467202

"I'm into mine for nearly 60k" does the wife know that :) What have you done ?

I paid 50k for her teeth (no joke). She doesn’t get to bust my balls anymore, haha.

And the best part is, she really doesn’t 🤣

Amazing what a mouth full of celebrity teeth will do 👍